710M vibration.

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jbird
United States of America

710M vibration.

Post by Jbird »

Image[/img]Hi. I just purchased a 710M and am experiencing a vibration issue at highway speeds . I realize it's a military vehicle and not a new Lexus but around 80 kmph the whole truck has a buzz that will loosen fillings in your mouth. It's fine at 70,75 and then it starts right at 80. It has aggressive tread tires that appear to have a single weight on each wheel. Not sure if I should try to engage the 4wd ? Would this narrow it down or try balance beads or just ditch the tires? Thanks for accepting me here and thanks for any help.
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710M vibration.

Post by rmel »

Does it get progressively worse above 80kpm? Once the
vibration sets in, does a gradual deceleration result in
a gradual reduction of vibration or does it stop suddenly.

Any idea where it's coming from; front, rear, left or right?

What is the tire make and size, some brands are notoriously
difficult to balance out with rim weights. Oh, any indication
a wheel got a serious whack on the trail and perhaps
eccentric in the axial direction. If you have access to a
wheel balance just spinning the wheel up by hand would be
a good test for that.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jbird,

Sounds like the internal front driveshaft may be the reason. Do a search here for "balanced drive shaft".

It's a somewhat over-complicated piece, and somebody re-engineered a fix. I don't recall the specifics, my truck does not have the problem, and it's more common in 710s than 712s due to the longer front shaft on 710s. It requires removal for the repair.

To check if this is the issue, drive the truck on a straight section of road at speeds that cause the vibration, then engage the far-left locker lever (the one that engages the front axle) and see if the problem disappears. If it reappears when you lift that locker lever, then that's your problem.

Good luck.

Paul
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Here's a link on the forward driveshaft modification -- no details though.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11403&p=85508&hili ... aft#p85508
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

It's a somewhat over-complicated piece, and somebody re-engineered a fix. I don't recall the specifics, my truck does not have the problem, and it's more common in 710s than 712s due to the longer front shaft on 710s. It requires removal for the repair

Not quite true. The torque tube is the same in both 710 and 712. Distance from front differential to transfer case is the same in both trucks. There central tube has an extension piece in the 710 to make up for the rear wheels being farther back then the 712.
Generally the balance issue is much more noticeable in the 710's as they drive them more and faster. A lot of the issue comes from the seventies balancing practices and that maintaining highway speeds was not that big of a concern.
Read up on the drive line balance issue and check the items that have already been discussed. There is a lightened/balance driveshaft option but it comes with a price.