Pinzgauer Jackstands

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jbird
United States of America

Pinzgauer Jackstands

Post by Jbird »

Hi. I recently purchased a 710M and it vibrates like hell at 80kmph. Its totally fine at 70kmph and then it starts. I can engage 4wd and it stops totally. I assume this means that my driveshaft inside the torque tube is out of balance or the bearings in the "witchs hats" are bad? I was planning on driving it under 80kmph until i fabricate some tall heavy duty jackstands. I would like to know if my guess about the driveshaft is correct and where the safest place to raise the body from the drivetrain is? I will make the stands fit that area and height. Is it easiest to seperate the rear box from the torque tube and leave it on the wheels to remove the drive shaft? A big thank you to anyone who can help me out.
Wyothing
United States of America

Re: Pinzgauer Jackstands

Post by Wyothing »

I can't help you but I am interested in pulling mine too. What are you planning to do with the drive shaft once it is out? I have heard of replacements or of the modification to the original but it seems difficult to get information on what options there are. I think there is a guy in Colorado that dews some driveline work but I can't find out any more info. I will watch this post closely for any help out there.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Try contacting Jim LaGuardia at Goatwerks.com
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Scott at EI produces balanced Pinz drive shafts
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Pulling the Central tube shaft is no small feat, though some have done it -- not me (yet).

The manual describes how to go about this. The entire rear assembly from the tail cone up to the
transfer-case is removed -- with wheels off then loaded on a special dolly. The truck is raised up
by the rear bumperetes on jacks (I would not use rachetting style jacks for this). The entire assembly
is close to 1,000 lbs. One could divide and conquer by leaving the X-case in place, pulling the Diff
and distance piece out first. Once the X-case is out of the way the shaft can be pulled, I have been
told by some that have done this operation that getting the shaft back in place is a huge PITA.

IMHO make sure the shaft is really your problem :wink:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jbird
United States of America

Post by Jbird »

Thank you for the reply. I am new to the Pinzgauer scene so I have some dumb questions. The vibration is the same on all terrains and at the same speed. It goes away with the 4wd actuated. I believed that eliminated the tires .Is there another common problem other than driveshaft balance or bearings being out I should check first?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Probably should pop this back to your original posting on vibration.
But I have read a number of comments on this forum where running
in 4X4 mode eliminated vibration then lightening the shaft made a
difference. So seems more likely that's your problem. I agree
you have eliminated the tires and wheels as possibility.

If you are going to go down this path, my recommendation would
be to also replace the seals and bearings the witches hat's and seals
on the Diff and X-case taking advantage of having a major part of the
truck disassembled. Depending on where you are located there may be
a local who's done this before or a shop that has Pinz experience.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Dennis linden on Colorado was doing lightened drive shafts. There are several trucks running around here with them. Lightened and balanced shaft makes a huge difference. You need the follow the advice of spending the extra bucks and replace the bearings that carry the drive shaft as the play that time has put on those bearings really exaggerates the vibrations.
You need to read and follow the procedures in the manual. This job is not there time for "short cuts". It is a lot of work but nothing that technical.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Jbird

The shaft will spin at the same speed irrelevant if in 2wd mode or 4wd mode

I suggest you make yourself aware what happens when you engage 4wd.
A selector sleeve is moved in the witches hat at the transfer gearbox and so power is transferred to the front axle.
If that can cause the vibrations to stop the shaft is balanced and something else causes the shaft to rotate out of balance
Maybe you start your investigation at the front end of the transfer case. You will have to separate the main tube anyway, but before you pull the shaft check the front end of the transfer gearbox

look at the video to see the operations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wNbXZ ... rt_radio=1
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army