O-ring for leaking plate?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Post Reply
ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

O-ring for leaking plate?

Post by ChickenPinz » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Does anyone know the right o-ring to fix this drip/leak? Jim (@goatwerks) just re-did the seals on this transmission, but apparently this one wasn't replaced so I need to drain the tranny and replace this one. I just need to know the right part #. Thanks in advance!
IMG_20200328_144638_drip (Large).jpg
IMG_20200328_144638_drip (Large).jpg (291.59 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
IMG_20200328_144631 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200328_144631 (Large).jpg (399.96 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
710K

User avatar
rmel
United States of America
Posts: 1176
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: Woodside, CA
Contact:

Re: O-ring for leaking plate?

Post by rmel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:19 pm

By any chance is that coming from the rear output shaft seal?
I can't tell where the leak originates from the PIX.

If that's where you see it, and you should also see a fluid line hitting
the underside of the flooring. If that is a yellow/brown'ish color and
very viscous it's most likely assembly lub. I know Jim uses a generous
amount to ensure easy assembly and no damage to the seal. There is
about as much of that crap on the outside of the seal as inside and
since it is very viscus it takes running the rig to the point where the
tranny gets hot enough for this stuff to flow out, and it take a fair
amount of time for it all to dissipate. It won't smell like gear oil and
gear oil has a relatively lower viscosity.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712M

Driver: Ron // KO0Q

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: O-ring for leaking plate?

Post by ChickenPinz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:42 pm

Fair points.

I spent some time cleaning things pretty dry so I can see where it's originating from. Of course it's like finding the source of a leak in a roof -- it can be anywhere from the observation point upward. And yes, hopefully it's just extra assembly lube.
710K

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: O-ring for leaking plate?

Post by ChickenPinz » Mon May 11, 2020 1:40 pm

It's clearly gear oil.

I'm going to replace the o-ring on this shift fork guide pin, which means removing it and re-installing it. I'm told as long as the transmission is in neutral, it can be safely removed completely and re-installed.

Have others done this and agree? I don't want to have to pull the transmission and open it unnecessarily.

Part No: 9023777, Group: 02-20-08
https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... ?q=9023777
shift forks.JPG
shift forks.JPG (57.26 KiB) Viewed 869 times
Attachments
housing.JPG
housing.JPG (64.87 KiB) Viewed 869 times
710K

ChickenPinz
United States of America
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: O-ring for leaking plate?

Post by ChickenPinz » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm

To close out this thread, the leak was due to a mis-installed o-ring. 90% of the o-ring was in the groove, and the other 10% was smooshed alongside the shaft.

This pin can be safely removed and replaced if the transmission is in neutral. The o-ring seals the shaft, and the retaining bolt is sealed with the washer under the the head and aviation sealant under the egg-shaped plate.

Either drain the transmission or invert it for this repair.
IMG_20200702_130021 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200702_130021 (Large).jpg (344.21 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_20200702_170547 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200702_170547 (Large).jpg (195.5 KiB) Viewed 447 times
IMG_20200702_170645 (Large).jpg
IMG_20200702_170645 (Large).jpg (170.91 KiB) Viewed 447 times
710K

Post Reply