Reverse engagement

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
MTPinz
United States of America

Reverse engagement

Post by MTPinz »

Down and to the upper left correct?

If reverse is hard to come by, what should I be looking at to replace? The heim joint at the end of the selector shaft, the 'dogbone' or the angle stop bracket? Or all three?
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Reverse engagement

Post by Texas710 »

This was the first issue I had to deal with.

The PO had a ritual to get the truck in reverse, I think there was a lot of praying involved. I grabbed the manual and noticed the stop plate. I adjusted little piece of metal under the truck, it's on the underside of the body, hard to miss. I forget the spec on it, but once I adjusted to the correct gap, I've never had issues with reverse.

It always seems easier to go from 1 into reverse, I find that R is straight up from 1, thought you do push the gearshift slightly down towards the floor @ N, then into R. At least this is what worked for me.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

@NTPinz, I feel your pain. I fought and fought mine to be able to reliably get into reverse. And then the Master (AKA Andre) helped me.

I've driven Toyotas all my life, and likely fell into a pattern for them and muscle memory took over. The Austrians are not the Japanese, and here's the simple method that helped me a lot.

Starting in neutral, feel the left right play. Now, carefully push far left against the spring before making any attempt to move forward. Once you're solidly left, now push down, then push forward. It seems important to separate these three actions.

I think before I was trying what felt to the truck like more of a diagonal movement (not sure), but it just wasn't working. With Andre in the right seat watching me, he coached me through something that should have been trivial but fought me. I wouldn't want to have to rock this truck between reverse and first, though.
MTPinz
United States of America

Post by MTPinz »

Wow, thanks for the excellent responses guys! I'll practice my technique being cognisant of those three moves and double check that stop plate too. Can't wait to get some miles on this after the much needed maintenance is up to snuff.

Cheers!

Richie