Problems With Third Gear

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Mauricio
Mexico

Problems With Third Gear

Post by Mauricio »

Hello my name is Mauricio, I am from Mexico and I bought a Pinzgauer 1972 710K five years ago, been trying to restore it with the help of my mechanic friend Carlos.

In spite of the language and technical barriers I will try to explain as best as I can the issue I have.

When I tried to drive the Pinzgauer everything was fine except carburetor issues, but corrected them, but apart from that whenever I tried to shift from 1st Gear to 2nd gear, it was a nightmare, the gearbox was super tricky, I had to really focus to let it into 2nd gear, if I tried to push it hard it just would block, so I often switched form 1st to 3rd gear.

When I met Carlos I told him about this nightmare, he suggested we changed transmission oil, we did but the problem persisted, then he told me to to buy these little
synchronization little metal things that resemble a metal watch link (sorry for the lack of mechanical knowledge), with supposedly synchronize the gears, so he did replace them, and apparently the problem was solved, but it actually made it worse, even though now shifting the gears was easier whenever in third gear the pinzgauer would start making noise and vibrating, falling short as to reach 4th gear with enough power, this just happened on third gear, every time.

So he opened the gear box again, and found the third gear really damaged, so I ordered a new one and Carlos put it all together and closed it, the problem persisted
ever since, Im desperate ands need your help please.

thank you

greetings

Mauricio