Special Tool Info Sought - drive shaft support

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
undysworld
Norway

Special Tool Info Sought - drive shaft support

Post by undysworld »

Hi All,

I began the job of removing my rear axles today, in preparation for new seals in the diffs. So my truck's off the road until the job's done. :twisted:

After removing the switch for the front-axle-engagement light (by the muffler), the manual specifies installation of a "special tool" to support the drive shaft to the front axle when you remove the rear assy (transfer case through rear axle).

How do you: make one, or borrow/rent one, get by without it?

Thanks a lot.

Paul
Erik712m

Re: Special Tool Info Sought - drive shaft support

Post by Erik712m »

undysworld wrote:Hi All,

I began the job of removing my rear axles today, in preparation for new seals in the diffs. So my truck's off the road until the job's done. :twisted:

After removing the switch for the front-axle-engagement light (by the muffler), the manual specifies installation of a "special tool" to support the drive shaft to the front axle when you remove the rear assy (transfer case through rear axle).

How do you: make one, or borrow/rent one, get by without it?

Thanks a lot.

Paul
There are some web supports in the driveshaft place a piece of card board between the drive shaft and the web support to center the drive shaft in the driveshaft housing.

Forgot to add really don't need to support it until putting it back together the two times I had mine open drive shaft came out with the axles.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Eric,
Did you then remove the cardboard pieces? Or do they stay in the tube?
Thanks,
Paul
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Just left it in. Really no way to take it out things will be a little more clear when you open it up.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Just left it in. Really no way to take it out things will be a little more clear when you open it up.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Eric,
OK. I assumed that was it. Thanks a million.
Paul