are there any words of wisdom re locker fluid purge?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
ka

are there any words of wisdom re locker fluid purge?

Post by ka »

i'm thinking i need to change these fluids since it takes like 10 to 20 seconds to get the front diff unlocked. the rear diff light doesn't even work. and today it actually feels like the front or rear didn't unlock - sorta - since the steering seems stiffer now. all lights are off, tho. steering is just stiff after wheeling a bit just now. man, i dont understand most of the this machine. guess i need to dive into it and do all the fluids and filters - something i've never done.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Suck the sludge out of the reservoir first with the wife's turkey baster. I use a one man bleeder tool able to do the job on my own. Pump the locker until new fluid comes out. I've changed my fluid out every year the lockers are easier to do than the brakes.
ka

Post by ka »

xlnt news, erik. will locate a baster that does not come with a wife (way simpler).
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
krick3tt

locker purge

Post by krick3tt »

OH yeah, meant to caution you on that baster thing.
Get your own for the shop and do not think about using the one from the kitchen...I will never use kitchen stuff again. Really makes the turkey taste funny.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

This is all you need, or one similiar-

http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.com/ ... ducts.html

And 2 quarts of brake fluid to do it right. You will also need some tubing to drain the old fluid out with, and a container. It worked great for me.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Before you procede to make a mess, inspect and replace any rotted rubber elbows or the rubber T piece before using a pressure bleeder :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."