TD transmission, 2nd gear grinds going in

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
audiocontr
United States of America

TD transmission, 2nd gear grinds going in

Post by audiocontr »

Couple of things to think about off the bat. My clutch is engaging at the absolute top of the mechanism which tells me its close to needing repair. That may possibly be the issue (i hope) but tend to think its not it. The problem does not happen in low. The transmission sfifts BEAUTIFULLY in low. So smooth!

While in high, you more or less have to start in first gear with the TD transmission. Going from first to 2nd is tricky. "naturally" moving to second actually grinds you into the reverse gear so I have to pop out of first, wiggle a little and then into second. When i push the gear selector into 2nd, it gives me a 2 stage grind. I define the 2 stage grind as what i feel in the stick, it has two distinct metal contact, engage sounds/feel to it, all in less than a second. This doesnt always happen but it does more than not. I'm guessing synchro.

I've tried easing it in and it usually will work. I've also tried to 2nd rev the engine before placing into second. That does not work reliably

Any thoughts?
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, it is a syncro. You can replace it with a brass ring from a std Pinz trans.
Shhh......................................... :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have found that RedLine MT90 tranny fluid helps shifting (especially cold, and cold temps), but it won't fix a bad syncro.

Jim M.
ka

Post by ka »

btw, jim and dave, since you refer to it, i apologize for misusing the verb "hoard". i thought it only meant to "collect". i didn't know it meant to "keep to one's self".

obviously, i meant "collect" - a GOOD thing.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential