rear locker light

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
SAM. C.

rear locker light

Post by SAM. C. »

Greetings Gents

My rear locker light does not come on when the lever is pulled down. I have checked the bulb and it is ok. I have tried to see if the locker is working but it is a bit difficult on my own. Has anyone got any ideas?

Sam
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Could be a switch problem.... Bridge the wires at the switch and see if it works then.
If it does "light" check the switch and the locker assembly etc, if not, check the wiring/cabling, fuse, bulb socket etc.
Last edited by Profpinz on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
SAM. C.

Locker Light

Post by SAM. C. »

Thanks Peter

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to give your suggestion a try today. It sounds like you think it is most likely an indicator fault rather than a fault with the locker itself.

I will let you know how I get on.

Sam
SAM. C.

Locker Light

Post by SAM. C. »

Greetings All

I got it working but I think I have a hydraulic leak in the rear locker slave cylinder. The light comes on when I pull the middle lever now but goes off after about 30 seconds. I guess this is being caused by a slow leak and the piston in the slave cylinder getting pushed back by the return spring.

Does anyone know if I can get a recon kit for these slave cylinders? I had a look on both Expedition Imports and the SAV sites but cannot see a kit anywhere. Or is it as simple as a couple of seals? The replacement slave cylinders look expensive :?

Thanks

Sam
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Just replace the piston seal if it is leaking down there will be brake fluid in the dust boot, very easy repair.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Go to your local brake shop Sam and they should be able to get you an equivalent PBR replacement seal.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

You want to know how I know that my rear locker is on?

The lever is in the down position and it doesn't spin out!
SAM. C.

Thanks

Post by SAM. C. »

Thanks Gents

I have taken the slave cylinder off and I am going to find a brake shop tomorrow to repair it. There was also fluid in the dust boots like you said Jim. My truck has translucent boots so it is easy to see and there was quite a bit in there.

I am a bit concerned about brake fluid being in the boots for too long. Do you think it could cause damage if left too long eating seals etc?

Thans again guys.

Sam
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That's not brake fluid in the axle boots, that is gear oil :wink:
I was referring to the dust boot on the locker slave itself.
It takes about 15 min to clean and refurb the slave cylinder.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
SAM. C.

Duhhh

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi Jim

You will have to excuse my ignorance I must admit I looked at the assembly and thought how the fxxk did the fluid get there but I thought oh well it must be. It looked and smelt like transmission fluid that is why I asked about the seals as I thought here we go for a major dissassembly job. Is it mormal to have transmission fluid in the axle boots? There is not much there and the rear axle is full.

Also I took my slave cylinder to a brake shop this morning and I am picking it up this afternoon so that all went well so thanks Peter.

Sam
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hello Sam,

Well, normal, yes pretty much. But ideal, no.

From what I've seen, most do weep a bit of gear lube into the axle boot. If it's leaking onto the ground, or dropping the gearbox level, then it probably needs fixing.

At least until Jim or some other guru corrects me, that's what I'd do.
SAM. C.

Slave Cylinder

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi All

I just had my slave cylinder reonditioned and the guy in the shop was adamant that there needed to be a circlip in the groove at the end of the cylinder bore.

I am sure there was not one in there when I took it to the shop and I have consulted my big Pinz parts book and there I cant find it there either. In fact the picture in the parts book is not that detailed but there does not appear to be a groove in the bore either but there is a groove and a circlip shown in the master cylinder.

It seems to make sense that there would be a circlip in the groove but I am not sure it needs one as the piston stroke never has to cope with pad wear or anything like that.

Anyway can anyone shen any light on this one?

Thanks

Sam

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Sam,

I ain't no pro here, but...

I don't remember any clip in there either. I do recall the spring which needs to fit in there, and it seems like that clip might interfere with that spring.

Course, then again, the rubber 'bellows' on mine just seemed to hang there, with no clearly apparent purpose, except to sort of seal up against the locker housing. Yours seems somewhat shorter, but perhaps it does the same job.

I'd be inclined to trust the manual. As an alternative, pull another locker and look in there. 8)

Good luck with things.
SAM. C.

Spring

Post by SAM. C. »

Hi Undysworld

Thanks mate yes your right the answer is in the spring it will not go in with the clip tere. Dont know what the groove is for though maybe a clip is used in another application??

Cheers

Sam
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That is the wrong type clip.
The clip is required and prevents the piston from over travel.
The clip hugs the groove.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia