Clutch disk wear limit?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Elvis

Clutch disk wear limit?

Post by Elvis »

Are there any published wear limits for Pinz clutch disks? I'm helping an acquantance with an engine swap, and don't know alot about them. This design has dual friction disks with "metal sandwich" plates between them.

This disk is 0.35" thick when compressing the metal plates. Is she ready for replacement?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Repair Manual States

Thickness of the clutch disk
Without pressure 10.6 mm
With Pressure 9.3 mm

Admissible wear of lining on each side 1.5 mm.

Hope that helps.
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Thanks Erik.

9.3mm = 0.366"

Looks like its time for a new disk (and perhaps a pressure plate?).
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Gas Pinz engines use a single disk not a dual. The only dual disk is the Parking brake at the rear of the vehicle.
Is this a conversion?
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Jim,

What I can tell you is that 1) it is a four-wheeler (not six), 2) dual-carbed gas engine, 3) parking brake handle is on the dashboard.

This is my first experience with military vehicles, and I must say I'm loving the ease of serviceability. The fact that this vehicle came out of Texas and has no corroded fasteners makes it a joy to work on.

I'll find out exactly what this Pinz is, as I'm just a (currently unemployed) friend who offered to lend a hand with the engine swap.

When you ask if its a "conversion", are you referring to diesel-to-gas, or six-to-four wheeler, or?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

What Jim is asking is if you are converting the engine to something different. It sounds to me me are just R&Ring it with the same, and updating the ignition system.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Elvis wrote:Thanks Erik.

9.3mm = 0.366"

Looks like its time for a new disk (and perhaps a pressure plate?).

Some correct me if I'm wrong but his clutch plate is still good.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

OK, I'm stumped on this one. How do you measure the thickness of the clutch disc while it is in the vehicle? I see no inspection plate, so I removed the little plate that covers the plunger on the clutch slave cylinder. Using a mirror and flashlight I could barely see the disc, much less measure it. Based on previous posts, 7mm is about as thin as should be allowed. I have a new clutch disc, doing a visual comparison leads me to believe there is some wear.
My clutch works OK, but I see oil dripping out of the drain hole in the bell housing, which means the rear main is leaking. That will eventually allow oil to get into the clutch assembly. It's probably better to repair now before it starts slipping while 10 miles from the nearest paved road.