Is the whine from the gearbox or the differential ??

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Greetings, a couple more questions.

1. How many miles (kilometers) on the meter?
2. Have you changed the fluids in the gear boxes?
3. If you changed the fluids, was there an excess of metallic particles on the drain plug magnet?
4. Are all fluid levels currently toped up?

Much of my Pinz’s 4th and 5th gear wine is minimized with ear plugs :wink: .

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi Ed,

The Pinz was completely overhauled by Steyr Puch in 1995 and done 44000 km after that. When I bought it it had a totally new overhauled engine, start-motor and carburators installed. Had to drive the first 3000 km as per the book, slow... 'running in' it is called in Holland.

All fluids were changed when I bought it, completely overhauled, painted etc. So basically 3000 km done with new fluids all around. I did not have to change yet, but in the next 100 km I need to change engine oil.
On last check +/- 1000 km ago all completely topped up.
Did not change fluids yet so no idea about metal in the oil, THAT would tell me...

Also no real change in noise in the last 3000 km. I did install sound dampening, that reduced a lot, but now I want a quiet Pinz... ha ha

I can drive and have a normal conversation, but after 70 km the whine is noticably present and annoying. I can still drive without earplugs, but just like to know where it could come from.

One thing I could do is have a friend drive it and remove the lid above the transmission and try to listen to it with a screw-driver at my ear. But cannot do that with the portal-axes or differentials...

It would be interesting to have a check-list that pointed to problems in specific area's...

Appreciating all and any input from the Pinz team - forum

Regards,

Jules.
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
landy

Post by landy »

My comment about drivetrain meant trans, xfer case, diffs, and portal gear drives.

I changed to synthetic, and didn't notice any obvious noise reduction. No visible evidence of metal particles in the old oil when I changed it.

I've only owned one Pinz, but have driven others, and they all seemed to exhibit a lot of "gear" noise, so I think it's the nature of the beast.

Certainly there are mechanical conditions that could result in increased gear noise or noise out of the norm, but it'd probably take an "expert" listening to it to make that diagonosis.