Power Steering

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
HOOPS PINZ

Power Steering

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I dont know if any one would be interested in converting their Pinz to power steering. I had power steering fitted to my 710 when I bought it the conversion had already been very roughly done but was a missmatch of things that broke very quickly.
So I have striped it all out and started again so it now works correctly.
Basic items I installed new parts from a diesel Pinz, flow valve, diesel steering wheel and steering link, diesel pump mounted on the engine block left hand side of the engine. Ram welded on the passenger side

I removed the steering box got new worm and gear from the good old USA and rebuilt the box cutting the inner and outer steering shafts down so it comes out just a few inches from the box.

Could not drive a Pinz without this kit works very well

Steve
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Couple of part numbers if anyone is interested in carring out this conversion

Steering shaft 7161470570
Valve 7161478260
Steering wheel 7161470391
Bearing 7101475302
Housing 7161475281
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hey Hoops,

Did you have to buy new parts and if yes, any rough idea how much a total conversion to power steering would cost. If not prohibitive, I would consider one, but where did you get the Turbo Diesel Pinz parts ? Army?

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Hi Some parts I purchased new others were used.
Steering Vale, Pump, Steering wheel, Steering shaft, Fan belt, Hoses all new.

Used parts Steering Ram, Fluid Resivoir

New parts I purchased from UK Pinz dealer.

I think it would work out about $1200/$1500 to do the work including parts thats fitting it your self

Steve
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Steve,

You mind telling me the UK supplier ? I live in Holland, just across the water, so ordering these parts is no big hassle.

Any manual that mentions what parts are needed for the conversion to Power Steering ? I did see the parts numbers in earlier replies, but which manual is that ? from the Diesel version ? I do not have that.... or are the part numbers from the UK supplier ?? questions questions....

Thanks for the reply

Regards,

Jules
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

A much cheaper solution is to buy a set of weights. :lol:
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

True ! but I thought that tinkering forever on your Pinz, or at least deaming about it, is almost as fun as actually driving it in the 'wild'.
And effortlesly parking it in a tight corner (I have parking sensors behind) without the expletives, as I normally turn the steering wheel (at slow speeds) with 2 arms yanking the wheel, is also worth something...

In the end; most projects like this are an almost bottomless pool for money until common sense, or the wife, steps in...
The joys of owning a Pinz is not easily described in words

Jules
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Hi Jules

I use Dale at Haflinger Technik uk 01555 771777 www.haflingertechnik.com in Scotland

If you give me a fax number I will fax over parts sheet to you. I made the bracket to the pump took me 2 days to get it right if you also give me your e mail address and I will mail you some photos of how its fitted

Steve
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hey Steve

Great stuff ! My email is info@JNijst.nl

If you would not mind sending these part numbers and pics... but also please let me know if there is a manual.
There probably should be, but can one buy or copy it ? It 'd be great for looking up other parts, I know Diesel and the old Pinz versions do not match, but some things would be close....

I looked at the HaflingerTechnik.com , at first sight you'd think only Haflingers apply, I guess he has good connections with the Army, who probably supply the Diesel-Pinz-parts ??

Thanks for the effort Steve!

Regards,

Jules
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Jules, You can get diesel parts from SAV I have ordered several TD parts from sara n the past she orders from the factory I think once a month. I also Think Scott at E.I. does the same thing.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Thanks Eric

I will look it up at E.I. and SAV...
I have ordered stuff from E.I. before, as well as from SAV.
I have not located any european supplier with as many parts and as clearly pictured or as easy to order.

Jules
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

Im away this week but will take my engine cover off etc and get some pictures over to you on my return. Dale at Haflinger Technik is the european importer for Pinz and Hafliner parts I believe. He keeps a lot of stuff in stock.

Before I converted my steering box I considered doing a diesel steering box and his price for a new one on offer was £450 retail £1600 must have been a box he had in stock for a while. But the drop arm needed to be a G Wagon one £400 again.

I use EI and Swiss army for some parts as well

Steve
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Thanks for the info Steve, that you sent to my email; as I said there: you're my champion !!

Regards,

Jules
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

For all interested I found a parts supplier in the UK - for Diesel parts I believe, I just don't recognise all parts -
http://www.thexmod.com/sub_catagory.asp ... 8&cat_id=8
It seems to be selling ex Army parts...

Anybody inthe US looking for weather strips for Pinz or ANY car
http://www.restorationspecialties.com/2 ... 0ebook.pdf

Good luck !

Jules
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Steve,

I recieved info from Dave Dunn and assumed it was yours...
So I called you a champ a little early, but apart from confusing some forum-members with each other, I am still for ever grateful for this forum, where people help each other out, great community !

Jules