Noise....

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
JNijst
Netherlands

Noise....

Post by JNijst »

This topic refers to the old topic : Noise from the gearbox or differentials ?
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... php?t=4807

I mentioned in there that Dennis somewhere mentioned the high whine was mostly from the differentials and could not locate the topic, here is that topic:
viewtopic.php?t=2078
It has a very interesting explanation about gears meshing etc, and possibly reducing whine with different oils or even tyres...

Forgive me, I don't want to flog this horse to death, but it is something that continually gets my attention (and on my tits) when I drive at higher speeds. But at least found the article again....

Jules
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Since no one else has replied!

After many hours of diagnostic, the noise seems to be developed by the High range gears in the T-case. All the other gear sets are reading very low decibel levels, and do not produce the hertz range that is associated with the whine. Seems some T-cases are a fair amount louder than others. This is likely due to loosing one of the output seals and having a reduced volume of fluid in the t-case. This of course gauls the gears a bit and increases the whine they make.

The only real option for you aside from replacing the t-case gears, is to check that you do not loose fluid first. Then try a few of the fancy oils like redline etc. to see if you get any result.

It might be possible to lapp the t-case gears, but would still require removal of the t-case.

There are a few other possible ways to reduce the noise, but are still much more involved. Alot of the harmonic and intensity of the whine is due to the hard mounting of the t-case.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi DokaTD,

Thanks for the answer. I am really showing my ignorance here, but where is the T-Case ? I know the gearbox / transmission + wheel-drives + differentials. I assume the T case is the differentials ?

I am indeed about to change all my oils - service required according to Pinz-factory schedule - so I think this a good time to change oils in all the different gear-assemblies and drive around and try to hear a difference, after I changed oil on each individual one and hope to be able to pin-point a bit closer to which one is the whiner...

I have been lucky enough so far; not to loose any oil - as yet -
I'll let everyone know what the whine was with my Pinz, once I located it.

Thanks again

Jules
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jules, The "T-case" refers to the transfer case. It's the gearbox which is located on the rear end of the exposed driveshaft. It provides you with the hi and low gear ranges. It is not the differential/s. IIRC, the manual refers to it as a secondary gearbox, or some such name.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Aaaah so....

T = Transmission-box / Gearbox.
OK; I know that one...

Re-reading I now see "Noise developed in high gears of the T-case"... There is only one device with Hi-gears and that is the transmission or gear-box.
Goh, just reading it properly would have given it away. Never mind, I learned something new: T-case

Thanks for the expalnation.

I also believe the whine might originate there - in the T-case - , in which case it is the first item I will change the oil on and see if a marked difference in sound shows.

The whine-hound is on the trail.

Jules
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Just to make sure we are clear,

T= transfer

T-case = transfer case

the transfer cases main function is to take a single output and split it so that you now have two outputs. Thus you have 4 wheel drive etc. The high and low gears are simply a convenient add on so a manufacturer does not have to make special low range transmissions.

The t-case or transfer case is located between the front and rear axle housings. Or on a pinz, it is bolted directly in front of the rear axle. This where the exposed drive shaft disappears into the frame work of the truck.

The engine and transmission power is received by the t-case at that point and is transmitted via user selected hi or low range gears. And then split into front and rear outputs that are connected directly to the front and rear axle inputs.

That said, your truck has engine/////1 transmission/////1 transfercase/////2-3 axle differentials depending on 712 or 710/////4-6 portals again depending on 712 or 710
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Again different from what I thought...

Must admit I never had a proper name for this transfer- case.
In the manual it is called the auxiliairy gearbox. The cardan shaft is connected to it (as it also is connected to the gear-box - tranny - transmission box)
Now I must admit I had the oil checked a while ago and it does not leak, but like I said, I will change each gear-assembly and check the noise after each one is re-filled.
I had not thought the T-case would be the cause of the whine, as the whine stops immediatly I engage the clutch, but of course; anytime the clutch is engaged it pressures the gears - whine, and without clutch no force on the gears = no whine, meaning it could be any gears...

Anyway thanks again for taking the time and having the patience to explain, I now think I really know what you meant by the T-case.

Best regards,

Jules
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

So, a good way to really hear the difference, is to get up to max speed in low range, then clutch and shift the t-case into high range as a gear change. You will likely go from almost zero whine to a noisy SOB. If not, it still may or may not be your problem. Just depends on how abused the low range gear set is.
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Hi DokaTD,

Sorry for this late answer - work work...

I admit I have not tried this, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Pinz had to be standing still, before shifting from Low to High gear, or from HI to LO )
( I guess because the clutch only affects the gears in the transmission-gear-box)

Wondererous machine this Pinz

Jules
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

the pinz t case will shift from low to high just fine at speed. I do it all the time. It acts like a gear spliter.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

)Fully synchronized, change range at any speed(use common sense here :lol: )
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."