Odometer

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
blackstack
United States of America

Odometer

Post by blackstack »

Don't know where else to put this topic....

My speedometer works fine.

The odometer (both trip and total) works sporadically.

The trip odometer can be reset but doesn't work (except from time to unpredictable time) when underway.

So I am assuming that the odometer gears are in good shape but not being engaged except by the reset cable.

Any suggestions of what to check?
Erik712m

jUST FIGURED I'D LINK IT

Post by Erik712m »

texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I have the same issue. Speedo works fine but odometer doesn't. Thilo Kass says it's an easy fix (probably for him!) so I'll just pop it out and ship it to him when I get to it. Of course Mr. Dunn's option works too if you want to get into the guts of your gauge! I don't!!!

It's a good thing that everyone's total mileage on their Pinzs at this stage are more or less unknown so havng an accurate and working speedo is somewhat unique.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
kpoling
United States of America

Odometer

Post by kpoling »

Hi, I followed Jim's instructions on the old thread listed above for disassembling the speedo. (Thanks Jim!) His description helped me & my issue was the same as todds112. I roughed up the end of the shaft & reinstalled it. Re-installing the trim ring on the speedo was almost a time consuming as removing it (without destroying it). My odometer now works fine.

I am now trying to fix the hour meter. Anyone done that?

Regards, Kevin.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hour meter? What is this hour meter? :?: :?:
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

Hour meter, do you refer to the heater working hours gauge? I assume you own a 712 K....
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
kpoling
United States of America

Hourmeter

Post by kpoling »

I have a 710K ex radio truck. From my reading they installed the hour meter because they thought the truck would sit idling a lot while using the radios (and keep the batteries charged) for maintenance purposes. I am trying to keep my truck original and like the challenge of tinkering with stuff. I am saving it for a rainy day.....

I have pictures of my speedometer disassembled that I can send if you want to see what they look like.

Regards, Kevin
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

All three of mine have working speedometers but odometers that don't work/have never worked. It's not like mileage readings have ever mattered on surplus military trucks anyway... or the model year for that matter.
An ugly higher mileage '71 will often be a better truck than a clean '76 with lower miles.
I keep track of my usage for maintenance purposes by a daily vehicle checklist that must be filled out before every trip. (they are commercial 4x4 tour vehicles)
So, to get the point, I never take as fact (or respect) any odometer readings on Pinzgauers!
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Well, I finally got around to fixing my odometer. (I'd posted in the above linked thread, back in '07!)

In addition to the failures other people have mentioned, I've got another fix to add.

After removing the guts from the case, as per Jim's directions (yes, tedious is correct), I connected a drill so I could operate the speedo and see what was/wasn't happening. There is a worm gear which drives the odometer section of the assembly. IIRC, it's the longest worm gear to be seen. (Sorry, I don't have pics either!!) The shaft was turning the worm gear, but the worm gear didn't contact the gear which drove the "miles" shaft of the odometer.

It turns out that this worm gear is adjustable, by means of loosening a set screw and moving the end of the worm gear assembly closer to the odometer shaft gear. There was a blob of green paint/glue securing this set screw, but it must have failed, as the set screw was nearly loose. I adjusted the worm gear to be close, but not tight, to the odometer shaft gear, then reassembled things. Everything's working fine again.
krick3tt

odometer

Post by krick3tt »

Does the gear adjust for larger tyres? It would be good to get that 8% deviation out of the mix.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Morris,

I was unable to determine if the adjustment worked to change any ratios. I doubt it. Especially so, since even when so out of adjustment that it did not actuate the odometer, the speedo still worked (just as inaccurately as ever).

This adjustment merely seemed to correct the clearance between the two gears.
kpoling
United States of America

Was Odometer -- now hour meter

Post by kpoling »

Got around to taking apart the hour meter, it has a stripped plastic gear off of the drive. The lens that magnified the seconds had come loose and jammed the mechanism. Anyone have an unused meter I can use for parts?
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

my hour meter is broken too let us know how it turns out.
710M 1972
710k 1974
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Norcal: If I can get an old hour meter with the gear I need, it should be repairable. Web searches on the meter have not turned up anything.

Anyone have a doner hour meter, dead or alive?

Regards, Kevin
captxmas

speedometer / odometer

Post by captxmas »

Theres been plenty of responses but.......We never seem to see the means to keep the odometer from breaking in the first place. I was taught a little secret that I beleive to be true but you experts will be able to verify.

The knob for the trip odometer can only be turned one direction. althugh it may spin in both directions, turning it backwards will break/disable the odomerter and trip meter. speedo will still work but mileage will remain constant till repaied or replaced. I replaced the whole unit with a vdo electronic unit with great satisfaction.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my U.S. friends.
Capt Xmas