clutch?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
norcal pinz
United States of America

clutch?

Post by norcal pinz »

Why is my clutch not working ???visually everything moves [slave ,fork]and looks fine. do i need to just open it up and i will find the broken piece??
710M 1972
710k 1974
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

No clue without pictures, can you get a camera with flash and shoot through the access plate?

I don't think you can put it back together wrong, or it won't fit.

Will it not disengage at all?

Maybe you need a longer slave connecting/push rod.

Need more info.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

just did a clutch pressure plate job on my 712. What do you mean by not working? Did you recently do a clutch replacement?

Mine let go in one missed shift (never let a newbie drive your truck)
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

I was changing out the starter, and had to remove the clutch slave, after i put everything back together the clutch was not working :[ UUUGGGGHHH it worked fine before.
[ I
checked to make sure i put everything back together correctly ] When i push in the clutch it feels very normal,when i opened the hatch in the back so i can look in the peep hole the clutch fork moves back and forth like its supposed to. But when i try to shift it feels like im not pushing in the clutch at all. should i just go ahead and remove the gear box?? it must just be that the clutch went out right????????? :? THANKS GUYS I want to drive my pinz so bad right now and my 2 year old son keeps saying "the pinzgauer is broken, its not working,dad you gotta fix it!!!!!"
710M 1972
710k 1974
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

The disk is most likely rusted to the flywheel. Best to pull and inspect.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

O.K. that's what in going to do i will bring my camera too.
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

heres the pics.

Post by norcal pinz »

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
So everything looked normal except for the rusty color stuff the clutch plate was pretty much stuck to the flywheel is that what you were talking about?
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

What parts should i order?? Or now that its free'd up i can clean and reassemble?
710M 1972
710k 1974
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Replace at least the disk and clean the cover and flywheel with scotch brite pad or 400 grit sand paper to remove the rust.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

ImageTHANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'M ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a summery of what happened:i did a little bit of driving through the water,shortly after that my starter finally gave out(it was well on its way)
she sat parked for months while i had time to fix it well that was enough time for the disk to rust to the flywheel like jim said the disk was really worn and some of the rivets were exposed oops.....all good now with some good advice.
710M 1972
710k 1974
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

OK, seams like I have the exact opposite problem. I have no clutch!! As in its in neutral all the time. The clutch started slipping going up the hill to my house and then all was gone. It shuddered for a bit and that was it. Pedal feels fine and the clutch fork is moving good. I tried high and low range and every gear....Nothing. I pulled it apart and the clutch disk measures within spec 9.9mm. Looks like it has a lot of life left in it. The rivets are far from showing through. No broken springs or worn fingers. I'm at a total loss. I would post pics but it not much to show. I do have an almost new clutch that I was going to put in but hate to put it all back together and have the same problem. Also I checked to see if the clutch slave was sticking put I can push it all the way back in with a screwdriver. Anyone?

Bernhard
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Replace the pressure plate. Had similar issue with my K,"felt " normal. Did not know what normal was until I replaced the clutch assy,the disk was fine and within specs. Pedal was much more firm after replacement. BTW I used clutch assy for 7 series BMW.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

Ok, The mystery deepens. I put a new clutch in today. Everything looks hooked up right pedal effort is more then it was before but not that much more. I can let the clutch out in 1.2.3 and 4 and nothing happens. If I put it in 5 I can get the motor to stall. Now I’m thinking it’s the tranny, but it never made any noise and always shifted great. Anyone got any ideas?
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Can you verify whether the shifter linkage is causing the transmission to shift fully into 1-4 gears? Sometimes the linkage wears, causing problems.

Otherwise, perhaps pull that tranny again?

Paul
bernhard

Post by bernhard »

It feels like it shifts into all gears. I had my buddy shift through all the gears as I watched the input shaft into the tranny. Everything looks like it’s doing what it is supposed to do but not 100% positive. I’m going to check the linkage for play and see if I can manually put it in a gear without the linkage connect and try to get it to stall.
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4