shifter slack

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Pols497
United States of America

shifter slack

Post by Pols497 »

I just purchased a 1982 712M, it seems to have alittle too much slack in the shifter. Are they all like that or is there an adjustment that can be made to tighten up the slack.
Roger Melton
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Roger, They are a little loose, compared to a top-loader transmission. These have linkage involved. That said, the best thing to do is probably have someone move the shifter, while you crawl under and check for play. I recently had to replace the heim joint where the shifter linkage attaches to the transmission, and that made quite a difference as far as looseness is concerned. It's also possible to have loose parts up front where the shifter exits the cab and mates to the long linkage (looks like exhaust pipe!)

Do you have the manuals yet? If you don't have a local mechanic who owns them, you'll be needing them. Lots of info is not in them (that's why we have this forum), but it's pretty hard to get by without them.
Pols497
United States of America

shifter slack

Post by Pols497 »

Thank you. yes I purchased the service manuel and the civilian kit when I bought it. I will install all that in a few weeks. I had to put six new boots on this weekend and change all the gearbox oils. My Jeep CJ 7 was no comparison to this Pinz. I love it.
Roger Melton