Page 1 of 1

Shifter selector rod, ball joint socket

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:32 pm
by kpoling
While driving today the selector ball joint socket failed. Luckily, I didn't need to back up. Made it home & discovered that the ball joint socket failed (7101245811)
Is there a cross over part available?
Otherwise I will have to buy a complete assy for $75.00

Thanks, Kevin

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:40 pm
by David Dunn
I don't have my parts manual handy, but am I correct at guessing you pushed the shifter down for reverse.... and it kept going down? :lol:
If that's the case, you probably broke a snap ring. If so, it's an easy fix , a couple of snap rings ( iirc 7/8"). Be sure to double them up in the groove, or you'll break it again .

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:24 pm
by kpoling
Hi David: I went under the truck on the creeper & worked my way back from the floorboard to where the linkage attaches to the tranny. The little selector rod was no longer connected to the upper ball. The plastic center on the ball joint socket was gone, just the metal left.

[/img] ... directlink[/img]


Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:42 pm
by Jim LaGuardia
The end bushungs are available from SAV or E.I.
look in parts manual for the number :wink:

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:58 pm
by kpoling
Hi Jim, I looked in my parts book first to see what the factory shows. I then went to both sites. I only see complete rod assy, pt# 7101242400 for $75.00 listed at both sites.
Neither has #6 on group #02-30. Do they normally have part numbers not listed in their sites?

I was hoping to by just a replacement joint....


Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:21 pm
by edzz ... 101245821/
Price: 3.89 US$ buy 2 replace them at both ends. i used hot water to soften them applied silicon lube then pressed them in place using a vice. the fun part is reinstalling the linkage on the truck. don't remember just what i used however i remember using something as a lever to press into place on the balls. remove the cover in the front of the bed to access from the top.

Ed :)

Posted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:26 pm
by kpoling
Ed: In my part manual it only says one is required & I guess it goes on the adjustable side which is the one that broke. My parts manual shows the adjustable side on the bottom, but it is mounted on top on my truck.

You mention to buy 2 bushings. Did the bushing fit in both ends or just the adjustable end?

I have seen a tool before to install these on the ball end. I will have to "improvise". :)

Thanks, Kevin

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:32 am
by edzz
One bushing is installed in each end of the “assembly group 02-30 displayed below” assembly #7 the drawing only shows one of the bushings #5, I needed two one in each end, the drawing only shows one as the same part number is used at both ends. If one has gone bad the other will follow the first to Valhalla soon, wish it a pleasant afterlife and send it on its way.

Merry Christmas
Ed :)