Stupid question about the whatchamacallit...

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jon_Gilbart

Stupid question about the whatchamacallit...

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

I took the Pinz 712M off-roading the other day, and did a very quick peek under the vehicle afterwards to see if anything looked out of the ordinary. I noticed that on the passenger side rear of what I call the "backbone" of the drivetrain, there is a large (about 1.5" diameter) perfectly round hole that looks like something should be plugging it up! I'll take a picture later if no one can discern what I am trying to say from my crappy description! I would possibly identify it better if I had access to my Pinzgauer manuals, but all of my tools and manuals are in storage b/c I am in temporary housing for now! Any thoughts or am I going to need to take a picture? No big deal, but the Pinzgauer is ALSO in storage, so I'll have to drive down to the storage facility to take a picture... Thanks. -Jon
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jon,

Is the "hole" you describe on top of the differential, basically in the middle of it? Sort of an eye-bolt? If so, it's a place to lift the differential, from what I can tell. At least that's what I used them for. There is one on top of each differential back there.
Otherwise, there are two plugs on each differential which are located on the passenger side of the diffs. The one to the rear of each wheel is for filling it with oil, and the lower, forward one is to check the oil level. It would seem unlikely that one of these would fall out, but...?

Paul
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

The hole directly behind the rear diff that is facing the ground, aprox. 1.5" in diam. The part is between the Parking brake assembly and the Pintle mount, has a compound curve shape?

That is a access hole for a bolt that secures the drive assembly to the body and should be left open.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Jon_Gilbart

Here's a crappy picture...

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

This is not my Pinz--it's just another picture I swiped from the SAV website. Anyways, it ALMOST shows the area where I have the hole on the side of the "backbone." It's not the 2 eye-bolt looking things on the top near the middle that you are describing. I have been told that those are what was used to transport the Pinz by helicopter (not sure if this is true, however). Those 2 eye-bolt looking things are below plates in the bed of the truck. Thanks.

Image[/img]
Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

milesdzyn wrote:The hole directly behind the rear diff that is facing the ground, aprox. 1.5" in diam. The part is between the Parking brake assembly and the Pintle mount, has a compound curve shape?

That is a access hole for a bolt that secures the drive assembly to the body and should be left open.

Miles
You know, I think I'm just going to have to take a picture... As I recall, it was a perfect circle (not a compound curve), but it was hot out so I didn't feel like crawling around on the asphalt. Also, I don't have a garage right now (should change tomorrow @ 12 noon when I buy my new house). I'll post up soon w/ a good picture. -Jon
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Where did you go off-roading?
Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

audiocontr wrote:Where did you go off-roading?
I went up to Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in PA and did their off-road driving academy in my 712M. It was a LOT of fun, but the Pinz made it all pretty easy! -Jon
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Hmmm, I'd like to find one closer to NoVa. We travel about 3 hours south but nothing to flex the Pinz.
Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

audiocontr wrote:Hmmm, I'd like to find one closer to NoVa. We travel about 3 hours south but nothing to flex the Pinz.
NoVa to Tremont, PA (Rausch Creek) is just over 3 hours & 10 minutes (a little longer in a Pinz). There is definately enough stuff there to flex out a Pinz! -Jon
justfred

Post by justfred »

You mean this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justfred/4685788993/

..if so, I have no idea, but I have one too.

Image[/img]
Jon_Gilbart

That's it!

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

Yes--that's the thing! What the heck is it? I just took a picture of it on my Pinz, but you beat me to the punch! -Jon
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I've been wondering about that hole too!
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Thats actually called the finnegan valve, and basically serves the same purpose as the bung hole or in laymans terms the periwinkle and is used to release backup'd gases that the pinz will ocasionally pass when struggling up a sharp incline LOL....sorry..couldnt resist!!! :oops: :D :D :D :D
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
justfred

Post by justfred »

Pete, are you saying that's the balloon knot? The tradesman's entrance?
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Yes.... Exactly.... Fred....LMFAO...dont be tempted to try to put a plug or block it off for any reason...I have heard of some Pinz owners meeting an untimely death when the plug became a projectile exploding as the emergency brake was being adjusted..resulting in a frightful thunderclap of an explosion and what seemed like ....a grateful sigh..from the Pinz :wink:
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M