Transfer Case - Jumps Out of Gear

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
712 Walt

Transfer Case - Jumps Out of Gear

Post by 712 Walt »

After about 40 miles of driving my 712's transfer case jumps out of high range to neutral, especially when driving at a constant speed and load. It goes back into gear but typically will jump back out within a few miles. I've checked to shift lever clearance per the manual and it's within limits. This happened before I put a new thrust piece (part no. 710.1.22.564.1) but since installing that part I've had 5,000 miles of trouble free driving. I don't ride the transfer case lever. Has anyone else had this problem and successfully fixed it?
Thanks,
Walt Brown
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Transfer Case - Jumps Out of Gear

Post by 4x4Pinz »

check to make sure the cable is adjusted so that the transfer case is going fully into gear. Also a good time to lube the connection points on each end of the cable along with the eye sockets where the cable is bolted to the body at each end.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You will need to pull the case to inspect and replace worn components.
The high speed drive gear and sliding collar must be replaced as well as the bearings on the shaft.
This is a common failure on high milage units :cry:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
712 Walt

Post by 712 Walt »

Jim,
Thanks for the " good news", better to know than to guess. The previous (and only time) I opened the transfer case troubleshooting the jumping out of gear problem I replaced the "SLIDE PIECE SHIFT FORK". The problem disappeared and I figured I had whipped it. While I had the case open at that time I did my best to look for worn parts. I didn't find any slop in the gears or bearings nor any burnishing that pointed to wear. Since my last post the problem has worsened. I've checked the selector pin position (found it to be indented into the case), double checked the shift lever body clearance and adjusted the shifter cable length all to no avail. It looks like your analysis is correct, except that by wear indications in places like the floor plates, steering wheel, seats and shifter knobs I don't see the wear that I would expect from a high mileage vehicle. Of course the Swiss may have swapped out a broken transfer case for one that was well used but servicable. Can you think of any other reason for the wear? If there's somethiong else I'd like to cut off future problems by fixing them now.
Thanks,
Walt Brown
(712 Walt)