Gear Whine

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
matthewc66

Gear Whine

Post by matthewc66 »

My mechanic in San Diego has been doing some work on my Pinz and he says he is concerned with gears 4 and 5.

He says in his opinion there is a lot of whining from the gears.

I told him they were straight cut gears and they have done that since I bought the truck.

Since I have never driven or ridden in a another Pinz I thought I would ask the group if this is normal.

it has always sounded the same to me so I never worried.

Also, if I need a tranny rebuild is there a way to put in a higher 5th gear so it isn't always riding in the higher RPM's when I am on the highway?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt
Ditchdigger

Re: Gear Whine

Post by Ditchdigger »

WHAT? I CAN"T HERE YOU OVER THE GEAR WHINE! :mrgreen: Pretty much the conversation in my truck. Check your u-joints. I had one going out and changing it made a difference.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Also, if I need a tranny rebuild is there a way to put in a higher 5th gear so it isn't always riding in the higher RPM's when I am on the highway?
Fifth gear in the stock tranny is straight through (1:1), so it cannot be changed. Turbo Diesels have an overdrive tranny but it loses the low gear, and the gears are slightly further spread apart. Many who have installed them have gone back to stock.

I think most owners would agree that the 12% increase in the 710 transfer case gives enough speed, but the lower 712 transfer case does make it hard on the highway. Some have even put the 710 case in a 712.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

In my experience, people are just not used to hearing all the gear noise coming from a Pinzgauers drivetrain. Most just assume that there are bad bearings!
I doubt that yours is having problems...
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

Thanks. It has always sounded the same since I got it.

I will get a ride in a local Pinz to see if there is any difference in sound.

Matt
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

If you'd like, you could bring it up to Ramona to my shop and I could take a listen for you. Pinzgauers are loud at speed, many of us use earplugs on longer rides
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

That is a generous offer and I thank you for it..

My challenge is my gears have always whined but my mechanic seems to insinuate he thinks they are going to explode one day.

I don't want to to take it on any extended trips until I can tell whether this is a serious problem or just much ado about nothing.

Justin lives close by to me. We are going to try and hook up to see if our trucks sound the same. If they do then I will probably just keep driving. it..

I will keep everyone informed..

Matt
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Well Matt did you guys hook up this weekend? Mine is load too and I wonder the same
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
matthewc66

Post by matthewc66 »

We didn't.

I had to put my Pinz back into storage for a few weeks and rotate some of the vehicles around.

I will get it back in a few weeks and then try and touch base with him again..