Speed upgrades?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
edzz
United States of America

Re: Speed upgrades?

Post by edzz »

Personally I would not want to be on the same road with a Pinzgauer being driven at 80 mph. High speed emergency handling and braking are not high on the Pinzgauers list of capabilities.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Fully agreed Jim.
Paul
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Getting a Pinzi to do 80 would not just be a dangerous undertaking, it would defeat the whole point. Pinzgauers are definitely vehicles for folks who want to be seen, whether they admit it or not. :mrgreen:

Besides the safety issues that have been beat to death, there's another issue that noone has mentioned. Going that fast in a vehicle designed to top out around 55-60 MPH will also wear out certain items VERY quickly. Hub seals, tranny seals, brakes will all wear out quickly when overtaxing them in the capacity that you're suggesting. This path has been travelled many times before and the same results will show.

If it was feasible to drive a Pinzgauer at that speed for any length of time other than going down a hill hypermiling, most on this board would have done that mod. One of the endearing features of a Pinzi is that you can drive it all day long at 60MPH and enjoy the day. If the destination and not the journey is your top priority, a Pinzi is not the right vehicle.

Dave, how fast can your 716 cruise at safely? Maybe that would be a better choice for this gentleman.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Going that fast in a vehicle designed to top out around 55-60 MPH will also wear out certain items VERY quickly. Hub seals, tranny seals, brakes will all wear out quickly when overtaxing them in the capacity that you're suggesting
Michael if you truly believe this the same would apply to the 716/718 the seals oil capacities are not that different.

Now back to drinking Kool-Aid
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

Erik712m wrote:
Going that fast in a vehicle designed to top out around 55-60 MPH will also wear out certain items VERY quickly. Hub seals, tranny seals, brakes will all wear out quickly when overtaxing them in the capacity that you're suggesting
Michael if you truly believe this the same would apply to the 716/718 the seals oil capacities are not that different.

Now back to drinking Kool-Aid
I don't profess to know what the design parameters for a TD Pinzgauer are at all, that's why I asked Dave, "how fast can your 716 cruise at safely? Maybe that would be a better choice for this gentleman."
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Mike,
I've been preoccupied the last few days, but want to give a full answer.... With so many people who don't understand all the differences , the why and how they change the safe cruising speed of the 716. I'll reply within the next few days
Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

As Dave is busy right now I might be able to answer Michaels question as I own two 716M along with some stock and
modified Gas Pinzgauers.

On Highways I drive my Diesels at about 75 mph which I consider good cruising speed for the Diesel. At this speed they feel absolutely safe to drive.

The 716 feels a lot more stable than the 710 especially during emergency braking and evasive maneuvers. The longer wheelbase, the wider track, the disk brakes and the different steering geometry are some things responsible for that.

I have an engine converted 712M with disk brakes, power steering and a lot of other modifications that can be driven 80 mph without issues.
The only thing I have to keep an eye on is the oil Temperature inside the Transfer case. Above this speed the transfer
case seems to generate more heat than the Housing can dissipate.

My conclusion is that a stock gas Pinzgauer is a top of the line vehicle for that what it was built for.
And that is definitively not fast driving.

I am sure Dave can give a more comprehensive answer since my english is not exactly perfect.

Richard
Skeej

Post by Skeej »

Yup- you need to go for a ride, and decide for yourself if giving up 80MPH air conditioned quiet comfort is worth what you get in a Pinz.

See http://ultimategarages.net/garages/bob_lutz_garage.html
for advice by a knowledgeable car guy and well known Pinz owner.
Thats not a knife...THIS is a knife!
~ Crocodille Dundee