Rear portals leaking

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
ms1223

Rear portals leaking

Post by ms1223 »

I just pulled my rear tires and drums and found the rear portals leaking. Not a wheel cylinder as I thought. One is worse than the other. Checked the portal fluid levels one good and one low.
Question. Can the outer portal seal be replaced without pulling the entire portal axle? I watched Vince's youtube video and it looks straight forward once the portal is apart and on the bench. (How do you remove hub drive to bench)
I will have to purchase the OTC 1150 and the OTC 7300. I will also need the other puller, any suggestion on these purchases? I am in Illinois and don't know of any shops that work on Pinzgauers.
Thanks, Mike
Swifty 72 710M
Winter Beater

Re: Rear portals leaking

Post by Winter Beater »

The outer hub can be easily pulled with an allen socket / ratchet. I take the hub to Dennis (Linden Engineering) and he uses a press to replace the seal. Never seen it done because the can shatter - he doesn't let anyone near the procedure. You may find a shop that has the tools to press off the gears and give them a new seal to install.
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Winter Beater, thanks for the reply. I've found the tools to do the seals. How do you remove the hub with taking the axle off?.
Swifty 72 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Both my rear hub seals on the truck are leaking too. I thought maybe I overfilled...or perhaps oil is getting through from the diff...but I found a few posts and it doesn't appear to be that. All was fine prior to my draining the oil and replacing it, then one day of wheeling and this. I need to order more parts for this truck now...good thing a Pinzgauer Canada mechanic went over it before I bought :twisted: ...so I was wondering if someone could point me to the right part numbers?

Thanks!

I think I am beginning to see why this truck was the last 710 at Pinzgauer Canada.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Here's your wheel drive parts: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-10

Here's the manual set you need: http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=5&t=7212

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but they are 25+ y.o. trucks. (Mine is 36.) Without really overhauling the truck, it would be pretty impossible for any mechanic to detect and replace 25+ y.o. parts that might be nearing the end of their useful life. If you paid less than say, 30K for your Pinz, it is fair to say that it was not overhauled by Pinz Canada. P.C. has a pretty good reputation on this forum (though I've never been a customer of theirs yet), which probably accounts for your truck being their last 710 more than the truck being a lemon. Just like any other used machine, breakdowns are to be expected.

I think it's safe to say that anyone who owns a Pinzgauer has to deal with repairs occasionally and maintenance regularly. If you're having problems which you think they should be standing behind, you might call them and discuss it. Badmouthing anyone on a forum is likely to reduce their willingness to help you, imho.

From your description elsewhere of your "one day of wheeling" elsewhere, it sounds like you flogged it pretty well, with the water holes and all. The more you beat them, the more they will break down.

Also, if you replaced your wheel drive fluid with synthetic instead of dino oil, it could have caused the leaks to show up. This is discussed in previous posts.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

undysworld wrote:Here's your wheel drive parts: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-10

Here's the manual set you need: http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... f=5&t=7212

Sorry to hear you're having problems, but they are 25+ y.o. trucks. (Mine is 36.) Without really overhauling the truck, it would be pretty impossible for any mechanic to detect and replace 25+ y.o. parts that might be nearing the end of their useful life. If you paid less than say, 30K for your Pinz, it is fair to say that it was not overhauled by Pinz Canada. P.C. has a pretty good reputation on this forum (though I've never been a customer of theirs yet), which probably accounts for your truck being their last 710 more than the truck being a lemon. Just like any other used machine, breakdowns are to be expected.

I think it's safe to say that anyone who owns a Pinzgauer has to deal with repairs occasionally and maintenance regularly. If you're having problems which you think they should be standing behind, you might call them and discuss it. Badmouthing anyone on a forum is likely to reduce their willingness to help you, imho.

From your description elsewhere of your "one day of wheeling" elsewhere, it sounds like you flogged it pretty well, with the water holes and all. The more you beat them, the more they will break down.

Also, if you replaced your wheel drive fluid with synthetic instead of dino oil, it could have caused the leaks to show up. This is discussed in previous posts.
Thanks! I don't think I was flogging the truck, just going through some muddy water...only needed 4x4! :mrgreen: I did stick with straight Dino oil. I did read Jim's post about the Synth, so I am staying away from it.

I understand they are old trucks....and I am well prepared for the maintenance aspect, I guess I am just still bitter about things that were so obviously missed by the "experts"...like torn boots, and some safety things like broken bolts etc (which they also acknowledged). Did I buy this with rose coloured glasses, probably, but now that I go through the truck and recognize things that many of you guys post about (and us newbies REALLY appreciate this forum :D ), just from simple visual inspections, I now know they barely went through the truck before I got it...and they said they did. Like yellow boots not yellow anymore because there is oil in them etc. I don't think I am bad mouthing so much as warning others that just because they are a "dealer," don't expect them to be looking out for you. I really don't know if I would go back there now for fear of things being missed again. Funny thing is, I can be the most loyal of customers etc....like with my Ural...when it is deserved. I just find this general lack of care and ethics seems to be occurring more an more these days and I am getting tired of it. I was taught that my word is my bond, and I do live by that....many don't.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol