Shifter ???'s

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Roverchef
Germany

Shifter ???'s

Post by Roverchef »

In the past 2 weeks I've driven a few different 710's that i was contemplating purchasing. I noticed that on one of them the shift lever had a little collar on it that you lifted up in order to get into reverse...the other ones did not have this collar. Is there a difference between shift levers? On some of them the shifting was pretty sloppy and reverse was easily engaged when it was not the gear I was looking for and there was no need to push down in order to hit reverse. Besides the bushings on the "dogbone" causing sloppiness...what other issues might these have had in terms of the funky shifting? Any ideas on the collar?
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Shifter ???'s

Post by David Dunn »

In the past, a few people have replaced the shifter in their 710/12 with one from a 716/18 in which reverse is engaged by lifting a collar on the stick.

The sloppiness is probably from a mis-align or missing lockout plate under the truck
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

All austrian army Pinzgauers that were factory refurbished have the shifter with the collar.

Besides the dogbone and the bushings another problem is the shift linkage rod that tends to develop cracks in the first two bends.

Richard
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

That make sense about the one with the collar(detent release). And on the idea of cracks in the shift rod itself or are we talking something completely different? I only ask so I know what to look for when doing pre-purchase inspections! Thanks for the responses.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It's possible that one of the circlips (item #18 on the parts drawing) slipped or broke in the shift lever pivot. That would release the tension on the spring that you have to depress to shift to reverse. I've had this happen - not a difficult nor expensive fix.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=02-30
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

Yes the shift rod itself can crack and break. Just for clarity I mean the 4 feet long Rod that connects the Shifter and the Transmission.
But a cracked shift rod shouldn't be the reason not to buy a Pinzgauer as it is not too complicated to weld it.

Richard
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A couple of notes :D
If the curlip breaks, the shifter will drop... until it hits a tierod :lol:
I had that happen when I picked up my 712 years ago. Installing 2 c-clips took care of it ( double them up, a single clip will break)
IF the truck is a refurbished Austrian truck, it would have fuses, not breakers.

If the truck with the upgraded shifter is in SoCal, it is probably one retrofitted locally ....
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

wrangler0511 wrote:All austrian army Pinzgauers that were factory refurbished have the shifter with the collar.

Richard
David Dunn wrote:A couple of notes :D

IF the truck is a refurbished Austrian truck, it would have fuses, not breakers.

If the truck with the upgraded shifter is in SoCal, it is probably one retrofitted locally ....
Hey I am curious about this. I have an ex-Austrian 712 and it has fuses. Soon I am getting into the shifter linkage so maybe that will be another sign?

I know my trucks history back to about the early 90's, before that unknown. I do believe it has been in civilian hands since at least 1991ish. My truck was desert tan originally, does that give any more insight? Just curious really since I haven't seen any 712s that were stock tan in color. And from what I understand not many were released from military service by the early 90s. The 712 Austrian I have came from a hunting farm in Hungary before it was put into use as a Euro-trophy truck.

It would be cool to know more history about it, confirmed type stuff. Like is the tan a super rare color, desert spec but military? Or was it maybe a civilian truck? Was it re-furbished at some point? These kinds of things are cool things to know to me!

Cheers
Dogslovetrucks

Post by Dogslovetrucks »

My 10K has the reverse collar but it was a civilian. Not sure where it lived but it's a single windshield (as opposed to the split Austrian one).
Random- was REALLY bored the other night and found my truck when it originally was for sale through SAV (2004 I believe).

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?tab ... s&idnum=20
76 710K
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

Hope you (or PO) got that cancer handled on the body and foot well.
That stuff will spread like wild fire depending on the location.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Dogslovetrucks

Post by Dogslovetrucks »

Yes, it's all fixed now 8)