Split boot replacement - looking for the dos and don't

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
mopar
United States of America

Re: Split boot replacement - looking for the dos and don't

Post by mopar »

I just got some split boots from SAV and can't for the life of me figure out the clamp. The tightening device is separate from the band and I can see how 1 side would match up with the barbs but not the other side? Does it go through the slit from top or bottom? any help would be appreciated and maybe I'm just missing something but I can usually figure such mechanical things out fairly easy.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

On mine I think there were hooks in the clamp on each end that hooked into the slots on the band - maybe one end was folded over. Possibly yours is a different type. Had to get it reasonably tight with the clamp screw fully loose as there was not all that much travel in the clamp screw.

I usually have no trouble with fiddly bits either, but I found that I needed 3 to 4 hands to get the big end of the pre-glued and screwed boot (very snug) to stay on the flange while the clamp was positioned and tightened while lying on my back. The axle pointed down enough while on the ground that the boot had to be flexed quite a bit to fit up on the flange. As soon as you let go the boot would slip/pop off of the flange. Be prepared to recruit an assistant. Everyone else said it was easy to do solo - not in my case.

Maybe others springs sag so that the axle is "more parallel" to the ground but not in my case. Not sure why I had more difficulty and others did not.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:idea: To make the axle "more parallel" to the ground simply load ~ a ton of concrete blocks in the back. :lol:
Attachments
aton.jpg
aton.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

In my case I would have had to put that in load in the front. :)
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

mopar wrote:I just got some split boots from SAV and can't for the life of me figure out the clamp. The tightening device is separate from the band and I can see how 1 side would match up with the barbs but not the other side? Does it go through the slit from top or bottom? any help would be appreciated and maybe I'm just missing something but I can usually figure such mechanical things out fairly easy.
I threw the clamps that came with the kit in a box and used hose clamps that go on clothes drier vent hoses. Way easier to get tightened.