double clutching

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
comfortdental

double clutching

Post by comfortdental »

ive noticed that some gears seem to grab or almost not line up like they should, should i start double clutching?
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
Stekay
United States of America

Re: double clutching

Post by Stekay »

I always do... it's a good practice that saves the synchro's a lot of wear plus I love when it just snicks in perfectly as I run down through the gears. On upshifts you shouldn't need to unless you don't get to the next gear in time or you're early.
'76 710K
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Rather than being a more responsible as a driver, fix the problem. These transmissions are quickly catching up with Haffy parts as unobtainium.
You may have a heart attack when you find what this are going for now, and how owners are turning them into scrap metal by putting the repairs off.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

I'm assuming you mean tapping the throttle before the next gear? And I bought the truck from Thilo this last july it's not feeling any different from when I bought it, I drive a Freinds f350 and the synchro seemed to be perfect which might have made me superstitious of my truck, how much are they going for these days david? I'm really curious as to wether this will fix the issue. Can I just rebuild, get my tranny rebuilt?
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Have you ever changed the transmission lube oil? And if so what did you use? Also is the shifting different after the transmission has had time to warm up?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I'm working with a friend to send a package to Canada, and the normal sources there don't have any and are demanding a big price in the US as more are failing, and parts are becoming more expensive.
The prices that I've been hearing in the last few weeks has been $2800 to $3500 plus core ( and many cores are crap)
So to any of you that play the market, I suggest you sell your Henteeth and put your money into Pinz Trans futures. :lol:
And don't scoff at those cheap Pinz for sale prices, just a few parts could pay for the vehicle, and/or keep your truck on the road.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

wow thats ridiculous! and i have not changed the oil yet, planning to change all the fluids this summer when it warms up. it feels very different after its warm, and i have been double clutching on every shift until its warm and I try to double clutch always in low range. do i need to double in low range?
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
landy

Post by landy »

You might consider changing out the oil with a synthetic. Some Pinz drivers recommned using a Redline product called MT90 for the transmission.

Here's the link:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46&pcid=7

I replaced the oil in my tranny with the Redline product. Seemed a little quiter and smoother, but they may have just been my imagination. Shifting the tranny slowly like an older truck rather than trying to speed shift it like a car may also give better results.
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I can attest to that. I just changed mine today over to MT-90. The noise that I always assumed was the portal drive gears, is virtually gone. The difference between on power and off is now less and much more similar.
'76 710K
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I've been using MT90 for a while now and the transmission is noticeably smoother shifting and quieter. It's not the least expensive lube around but is well worth it IMO.
If you can't find it, NAPA stores can order it for you and it's also available online at a few places including Amazon.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE