Transfer case lube

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
blackstack
United States of America

Transfer case lube

Post by blackstack »

I hesitate to ask this question as everytime lubes are discusssed there are so many different opinions i just get more confused......I hope one of the guru's will give a short answer

My understanding is that everything gets GL5 except the tranny and the transfer case. they get GL4 yes or no?

The maint book (put together before multigrades) says SAE 80 for everywhere....The GL5 gear oil NAPA sells comes 85W140 and 80W90

Which should be used?
landy

Re: Transfer case lube

Post by landy »

80w90 GL5 is fine for the transfer case. You might be able to get it cheaper at Wally Mart. Lots of opinions on the best oil to use in the transmission. I'm using a Redline synthetic product in mine. Other Pinz owners also seem to like the Redline product. Here's an earlier post on it.

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... oil#p49912
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks for the reply Landy........
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I'll back up the Redline GL4, as well as the Amsoil GL4. I used them in all my Trans/transfers, and often rear diffs. if I had enough of it. Expect an average of $14/quart. Luckily they don't need much of it.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

since changing to Redline lubes for my 712 the little bit of sticking and grinding has disappeared. Next lube change I'll be using it again.
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Thanks everyone for your replies they are very helpful.

BUT i guess i asked the question wrong My question is "Does the transfer case require the gl4 formulation a/c of brass components as are in the tranny?" or is the transfer case free of brass fittings ?
landy

Post by landy »

As I noted in my above post, GL5 is fine for use in the transfer case, although I don't know if it has any brass components. I believe the use of GL4 spec oil is only an issue for the transmission.
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I have used the Redline "Shock proof" gear lube in motorcycles with excellent results. Also used in our old Miata that had a snatchy 2nd gear syncro. It definitely made it shift better with little crunching after installed.

I thought the general consensus here was that synthetic lubes caused more leaks past the seals in our "old" trucks? :?:
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

As for yellow metals in T/cases.
Early units did have yellow metal synchro baulking rings for Hi/Lo shift synchronization.
Later transfer cases (somewhere after 1974) and superceeded replacement parts were in sintered iron.

Using GL5 in this application will have no detrimental effect, since shifting cycles are very low in this application. Using off the shelf later main brand spec./blended oils are lower these in any case in potentially yellow metal corrosive ingredients.
Dennis
OOOps no customer bashing now
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

kpoling wrote:I have used the Redline "Shock proof" gear lube in motorcycles with excellent results. Also used in our old Miata that had a snatchy 2nd gear syncro. It definitely made it shift better with little crunching after installed.

I thought the general consensus here was that synthetic lubes caused more leaks past the seals in our "old" trucks? :?:
I too have used Redline shockproof with surprisingly good results in other vehicles. Searching the board there is at least one other report, and no idea if it has any synthetic leak issues. The quantity required to do all gearboxes and diffs might make it a rather expensive pinz proposition on the whole at $15/qt.
Last edited by djw on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

DJW: My tranny shifts OK right now. The last time I bought some ShockProof it was $10.95/qt, so it would be very expensive just to fill the transmission (6L). I have never seen it sold in larger containers. I will stick with the dino tranny oils in mine for now.
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016