Unknown part

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Pinz_74

Unknown part

Post by Pinz_74 »

We are currently rebuilding the rear differential in my 1974 710M, due to a previous owner not doing a correct job of it.

While most of the work is complete, the mechanic, undertaking the work, and myself have had trouble identifying a certain part listed in the parts catalogue. I wonder if anyone can be of assistance, as to explain to us it's purpose and importance.

The part is on page 24 in group 3 of the parts catalogue. It is called an Angle, and it's part number is: 710.1.32.259.1 .

This part is not present on my differential, however this unfortunately might be the result of the poor workmanship undertaken when the differential was first rebuilt.

We speculate it is a small piece of angle iron (one per side), that either assists in holding the metal stop ring, or the rubber stop ring in place. I was not able to find reference to it within the workshop manual.

Can someone please assist me in confirming the relevance of this item, considering it was absent on my differential, would it be advisable to order replacements of the item or to leave the differential as it, or alternatively to fabricate it?

Thanks in advance
Kind regards
Kevin
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Unknown part

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That is part of the stop ring, without it, the fat rubber dust ring would fall out.
Very doubtfull it is missing as you would not be able to mount the boot without it.
Stop rings are made up of multiple parts:
The main body with wipe seal(part of stop ring)Part mentioned in your post presses into the stop ring and provides retention of rubber dust ring and boot mounting.
They are soldered or epoxied in place.

Stop rings seal to diff case by O ring and Aviation varnish type sealant only(NO SILICONE), best to install them before you put the case halves back together. A bad stop ring can only allow water and dust intrusion, it has nothing to do with gear lash settings.
The stub axle assemblies ride on bronze/brass selectable bushings, if they are loose, it will cause backlash variations.
Git"R"done!
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I believe you are referring to the small piece of sheet metal that holds the stop ring in place. It is missing on a number of trucks that I have seen. Sometimes it is beat up and bent out of shape if the limiting straps have failed and allowed the housing to bang against the stop ring and the "angle". The picture is a good representation of the piece except that where it meets up against the metal stop ring retainer it is curved to match, if that makes sense.
BTW, have not seen any ill effects on the trucks missing this piece other than it is shown there and like most things pinz related it must have a reason.
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

The reason why you can not find it on every Pinzgauer is because the
early Pinzgauers didn't have that part.
Only later ones and the ones that had their axle boots changed or diffs overhauled have it. You can see it as an improved version.
That is why if you buy a repair kit from Steyr this little metal part is always supplied with it.
Pinz_74

Post by Pinz_74 »

Thanks very much for all your responses. Unfortunately there aren't many Pinzgauers in South Africa, less than 20 as far as I know; so our experience is limited mostly to books.

Mine is a 1974, Austrian edition, so I suppose it is one of the earlier models. As for the missing angles, whether it was because of the Pinz not being supplied with them, or whether they were missing from the previous rebuild I can not ascertain; however the rubber stop ring (710.1.32.254.1) was missing from both sides.

Unfortunately I only recently discovered the history of my Pinz, and at some stage a previous owner drove it with snapped limiting straps, resulting in the previous rebuild. It was this rebuild that saw incorrectly set up gear lash settings, providing a rather loud howl.

Luckily there was not any damage to any of the gears, and we've replaced all the bearings. Unfortunately the metal stop rings (710.1.32.251.2) were damaged (one was bent out of shape). I have subsequently ordered two replacements from SAV, although I only noticed the angle after the order had been shipped.

Jim, thank you for the advice re the rebuild. Luckily we haven't tightened up everything yet, so it's easy to split the halves.

I assume that the metal stop rings I ordered won't include the angle, considering it appears a separate part, so I shall either order them or attempt to fashion a copy.

One question though, if the angle was absent on older Pinzgauers how was the rubber stop ring kept secure, it appeared quite lose?

Thanks again for all the assistance, it is really appreciated!