Ring metal for axel boot.

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Thomas-E

Re: Ring metal for axel boot.

Post by Thomas-E »

Just another tip...You can often cut an O-ring to fit around a part rather than disassemble
several items just to slide an O-ring into place. Cut it, position it around the part and use a drop of superglue to join the cut ends. O-ring kits are available where you get several rolls of different diameter O-ring material and a "V" grooved block (think miter box) to let you make a nice square cut and to align the two ends for gluing.

I need two o-rings, went to NAPA and looked through their catalog and couldn't find what I needed so I bought two larger ones - cut to size and super-glued them. That was 4 years ago, still doing fine! Also did it with the front steering "ball scraper seals", two years ago and doing fine.

Saved having to pull the axles or drive wheels off. :P
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
berger
Canada

Re: Ring metal for axel boot.

Post by berger »

Thomas-E wrote:Just another tip...You can often cut an O-ring to fit around a part rather than disassemble
several items just to slide an O-ring into place. Cut it, position it around the part and use a drop of superglue to join the cut ends. O-ring kits are available where you get several rolls of different diameter O-ring material and a "V" grooved block (think miter box) to let you make a nice square cut and to align the two ends for gluing.

I need two o-rings, went to NAPA and looked through their catalog and couldn't find what I needed so I bought two larger ones - cut to size and super-glued them. That was 4 years ago, still doing fine! Also did it with the front steering "ball scraper seals", two years ago and doing fine.

Saved having to pull the axles or drive wheels off. :P
I always wondered about that.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol