Redline Shockproof HD

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
djw
United States of America

Redline Shockproof HD

Post by djw »

I wanted to pass along a data point on Redline Shockproof HD in the wheel drives.

I had some free time today and did a lube change on the 4 wheel drives with Redline Shockproof HD. I'd used their shockproof stuff in a couple of motorcycles in the past with surprisingly good results. I have to say I was quite shocked (and I am fairly shockproof myself) at the drastic reduction in gear noise.

I probably did not get every last bit of the existing oil drained out since I could not get more than about 1.25 quarts total into the wheel drives (book says I probably should have gotten another .5 in at least if they were drained).

I will have to wait and see if there is any seepage, but this is pretty thick stuff that is roughly as viscous as the 80/90 wt. Below 50kph I am hard pressed to hear any of the spur gear noise at all, and above 50kph it is apparent at about a quarter of the dB it was before (sounded like a jump to light speed), and still very, very reduced.

I will probably do the front and rear diffs in a couple of weeks, then figure out if I want to try the shockproof light (which is supposed to be ok for the syncros) in the two gearboxes.

A big plus from my perspective.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Re: Redline Shockproof HD

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Synthetics are not recomended in the wheel drives, if hub seal leaks your brake shoes are done. At least with non synthetics the linings can be cleaned in hot soapy water.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."