Rotating axle boots

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
berger
Canada

Rotating axle boots

Post by berger »

Is it possible to rotate the axle boots on the axles? Lets say you have a hole/tear in the bottom of the axle boot and don't have a replacement handy, could you not rotate it up or to the back, just to get the hole away from any road spray or dust ingestion? I know it isn't a fix, just curious.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Rotating axle boots

Post by audiocontr »

Duct tape. Gorilla tape to be exact, until you can order two replacements from expedition imports
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Red Green wrote:
Duct tape.
:shock:

The boots tend to get stuck to the metal surfaces, from my experience. I think even getting them to move would be tough.

But more importantly, if you rotated a tear to the "up" position, and then did get water and/or dirt in there, I think your problem would be worse.

In short, I'd say NO. That's why they sell split-boot replacements, so you can make a field repair.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

undysworld wrote: But more importantly, if you rotated a tear to the "up" position, and then did get water and/or dirt in there, I think your problem would be worse.
Ya, I was thinking that too, that is why I thought to the rear, so at least the tear is above submersion level. I do have a split boot, but they can be pricey to carry a couple spares around all the time....Yes, I know that axle repair is more expensive, but if I had a really bad tear, I wouldn't drive the truck till I fixed it. I am just thinking of those times when you don't have everything on hand and need a quick fix.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I'm serious on the duct tape.

While on the road, i noticed that i had splits in the boots and I was heading to a sandy location. I cleaned the boots best i could and attached the tape to cover up the holes. The tape worked well at keeping the dust and sand out of the hole and when i returned, i ordered replacements (and extras). They are designed as dust covers.

Cracking boots should be expected on these trucks, and as such, you should always have quality spares.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

audiocontr wrote:I'm serious on the duct tape.
Bought some this afternoon! :)
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol