Transfer cased just popped out of Hi range into neutral and

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jerbearyukon

Transfer cased just popped out of Hi range into neutral and

Post by Jerbearyukon »

More...

I don't know what I have done to piss the gods off but my life is spiralling into the abbiss lately.

I took the pinz into get the exhaust manifold gaskets changed and fix the exhaust noise....still didn't do it right.

I tried setting the valves the other day and I think it's WORSE now.

AND THE LATEST.

I was coming home last night and the transfer case jumped out of high range into neutral on a hill. At first I didn't know what happened but figured it out.

Now I am noticing that the gear shift is moving MORE than usual when you accelerate after you change gears.

THen tonight again on the way home from working out of town I was going up a hill and the transfer case popped out of high range again and into neutral.

The biggest problem is NOBODY here wants to touch the pinz.....I have taken it to two shops (not many to choose from up here) and they said forget it.....soon as you talk carbs they look at you like you have three heads (I did check the mirror just to see).

Anyway....I feel like I am at the end of my rope......you know what they say (and who are those ppl btw). "IF YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HELL...DON'T STOP"

It's bear season and my pinz is down.....this is a disaster.

Jer
milesdzyn

Re: Transfer cased just popped out of Hi range into neutral

Post by milesdzyn »

Check to see if the adjustment has loosened on the shifter linkage, if I remember right there is an adjustment, just can't recall if it's at the shifter end or at the transfer case. Should be an easy fix.

Also may be worth checking the oil level of the transfer case.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks

Jer
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

There are adjustments at both ends of the transfer case cable. The front one is easier to reach. A buddy would be useful in order for you to observe the movement and adjust accordingly.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I'd check the motor & transmission mounts.
'76 710K
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This isn’t too uncommon. Before doing anything else, look at the top of the t case at the shift arm. There is a ball and socket at the end of the arm (at the cable) that will seize due to lack of dismantling, cleaning and lubing the ball. If the this joint doesn’t pivot freely, the shifter cable doesn’t allow the T case to fully engage in high range. Also, over time the cable may snap because of stress on it from the ball and socket being frozen.

There are instructions in the manual on the R&R, plus old threads
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks guys - I guess I will get to be MY own mechanic when I retire in mid june because I will have the time to do it then.

Just want to get it working until then

Thanks again

Jer
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So this was how I got by for the past few days.

It kept popping out after about 45 minutes at around 100 kms per hour. So ti tied it in the position and continued to my fishing spot and to where I was hunting bears with my bow.

So today I got underneath and attempted to adjust the linkage....so I turned the nut towards the shift back and then tightened up the one towards the back....(thinking that, that would give me the ability to push the lever further back)...hope that's right.

Anyway I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks

Jer
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well I tried the adjustment and it seems to go in no problem. The shifter is actually going back and forth and makes a clunk when put in either position.

Problem is ...is that it is still popping out.....I had to tie it back in last night to get home.

Should it take it apart and lube the ball?

A link to the repair on this site would be handy..thanks.

looks like a hard thing to get at normally though.

PS - the fluids are good.

Jer
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Welllll, with the rope trick, you're almost guaranteed you're got a destroyed syncro , collar, fork or something in the t case ,now

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles again. I probably can't offer a whole lot of help. But my cable froze up on the pivot ball at the transfer case. You're right, it was a real S.O.B. to get at, but we were stuck working from under the truck. But I believe you can get to it easier via the floor panel in the truck bed. In my case, I couldn't get it to engage at all, so our problems are dissimilar in that way. But if you are only obtaining full engagement and yet the cable isn't swiveling at the pivot ball, I can imagine it might put pressure on things to pop out of gear there. It's probably worth checking at least.

I've never been into the transfer case very far, so I cannot give you advice on which part/s might go bad and cause the issue. I seem to remember a thread about that however, and I think it was worn parts internally. Even removing the t-case from the truck is a pain, perhaps even more on a 710.

Best wishes on a speedy and simple recovery.
Paul

PS: I see Dave already gave a better answer on the t-case internals.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hey Paul
What "could" have been a cable adjustment before will surely be at least a collar and shift fork now...

Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Hey Dave I tired the adjustment.....not sure what I did was right though....I loosened the front nut and then tightened the back nut to push it further backwards.....it was engaging (well to me anyway).

So do you have to take the ball linkage off the transfer case to see if it's engaging it far enough. Sorry I am no mechanic (I just try to do what the book or ppl say)...there is nobody up here that will even look at this truck for me....so I am stuck....

The fella I get to work on her can do it sparingly......it's my daily driver.

I am not trying to be ignorant....just no experience in all this.....and no place to work on it properly (not excuses I know - just the facts).

jer :oops:
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Paul...mine moves and seems to be engaging and locking in.....then I drive for about 120 kms and then it kicks out.....fluids are good.

Dave....I was stuck....I was on my way out to a job and the only way I could see to continue was to do what I did....maybe it screwed things up..dunno but it got me by for now.

I don't know how this stuff works mechanically and if I did maybe I would have made a different choice. If it costs me a transfer case so beit.....my learning but I try to avoid this kinda stuff by asking questions.

Sure would be nice to have a MECHANICAL CLASS on the pinz though. Some place that we could sign up for to go over this kinda stuff (things we can do ourselves). Can't see me doing the seals (not the right gear) and the ppl here don't seem to want to tackle it either which leaves ME and I am not very experienced, but willing to learn.

There is a reason I became an electrician and not a mechanic haha.

Now I have the rear shocks and master brake cylinder to do and the speedo is working intermitantly.... :roll:

Jer
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jerry,

I'm inclined to think Dave is correct, and that you've got internal issues in the t-case. To my knowledge, the linkage is solely to move the selector back and forth, but the t-case should remain in gear when it is engaged. I can't think of any way of totally eliminating any question of linkage, besides disconnecting it at the t-case lever and engaging the t-case by hand. If it pops out then, it sure seems like it has to be the t-case.

I don't think Dave was faulting you for doing whatever was necessary to get out of a jam. But some problems need to be fixed before the vehicle is used again in order to avoid further problems. It's really a bummer when avoiding a minor fix ends up creating a huge problem to repair. Yours might have been an easy cable adjustment to begin with, but it could have been the t-case failing all along too.

That said, if it's popping out internally, you've got a bit of an issue, because it's much more involved than swapping a t-case in a typical vehicle. You should look it all over in the manual, and see if you're willing to give it a try. I don't recall any particular special tools, but I think you'll need some sort of carriage to support the rear axle, etc. when it comes out from under the truck. (A 712 is easier since you can just roll it out on 4 wheels.) Then you separate the t-case and either fix or replace it.

Dennis Williams used to talk about conducting Pinz classes, but I don't think it ever came to fruition.

Perhaps you'll have to postpone the other work until this t-case issue is resolved. That might be the good news. Sorry. Find out if it's internal first.

Paul