Transfer cased just popped out of Hi range into neutral and

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Transfer cased just popped out of Hi range into neutral

Post by David Dunn »

Well Jer,
I understand “do what you have to”, but you need to be aware of the consequences… In simple terms ( and not to be sarcastic), think of a grinding wheel spinning, and then pushing a screwdriver against the side of the wheel. As long as you apply force, the grinding wheel will wear down the screwdriver. The collars and the forks in a trans are something of the same, but both wear each other down. In a perfect setup, the syncros will lock the collar in position with detents, and detents on the shaft for the shifting forks hold them in position where they only come in contact during the actual shifting, any other time, they don’t touch….

What I would recommend trying is to disconnect the shifter at the ball and socket on the t case. By hand, then shift the t case into hi range, then in a safe,flat area , drive the Pinz with the shifter disconnected. Try driving hard and soft, heavy and acceleration and shifting. If the problem is inside the t case, it will probably pop out of gear rather soon…But be sure you’re driving in an area where it would be safe to coast and not have the engine or trans to power you if it does pop out of gear and can stop safely and chock the wheels… so no hills. Have someone with you to chock the wheels while your holding the brakes.
If the t case does not go to neutral, it could still be only a cable adjustment… but also shift the t case to low range and try the same test…I drove my 712 for a week before I repair the shifter cable on it.
Also, drain the t case into a pan and check for 'Yukon gold'... bright shiny shreds of metal in it :roll:

Now my disclaimer: this post exceeds my 3 finger limit and therefore not proof read :roll: :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Jer, when you find it is still popping out of gear with the cable off, it is time to pull the transfer case. Just to be clear as clean water "Engine and trans mounts will not affect transfer case operation".
I have rebuilt enough of these units to know by symptom description you will be pulling the case out for repair.
Parts to have on hand would include all 7 bearings(including locker box),gaskets and seals, high speed gear, both needle bearings(high and low), syncro slider, syncro dog springs(#23 in diagram). I would check the syncro rings, if they are not grinding going into range and are undamaged, they can be re used(spec in book). A syncro ring is like a brake shoe to stop the gear so the collar can slide and engage the gear splines, they seldom fail.
Look in the archive section for removal posts.
Or you can pull it, drain it and ship it for rebuilding :idea:
P.S. the cable has a wire retainer at the ball end, flip it up with a scribe and then remove it to release the socket from the ball.

I gotta get back to work now.........................
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Jim,you are most generous with your info,thanks from a by-stander!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

I'm all for a class... just like a cooking class. We all bring our transfer cases to a shop and sip wine while we are tutored by a pro to do the re-build. At the end of the day we go home with our re=built parts. We can skip the the Zen music ,flowers and tie dyed aprons, but that wouldn't hurt so much if my rebuilds were right the first time.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Here is a side view of the syncro hub and slider, notice the springs on the syncro blockers, when they fail(break , rust, loose temper) it will not stay in gear for long, the sleeve starts to wobble and wear the mating surfaces away.

Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jim,you are most generous with your info,thanks from a by-stander!
Ditto, from another by-stander.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Same here. That's what makes this forum so special, and one of the reasons I bought such a specialized, unpopular-with-mechanics vehicle.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Thanks EVERYONE......Well Jim if it fails the disconnecting test then I will just pull the T case and send it too you if that's ok ( very generous of you btw).

Great to have cyber friends......Paul I have met and is a great guy.....I hope to meet more of you in the future.

Jer
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Well you mechanics must take a special course on Patience and how to get your body to support your head in wierd positions and contortionist classes..... :oops:

Anyway I would love to just "pop off the cable" that gives a whole new meaning to "patience".....I removed the shroud over the muffler just to get at it......then I snapped the little ring/clip and I sprayed some WD 40 in there as I had nothing else and then I attempted to get a screw driver in there...NO LEVERAGE.

So I got a piece of EMT conduit.....flattened the end so I could use that.....now the arm on the transfer case is just trying to move with the cable end...

did I tell you it started to pour just after I got the tools out and got under the truck...hmmm

So do you have to take the support bracket off the cable to get this done?...do you have to have it in neutral/low/or high to make this easier..dunno.

Sorry guys...you can laugh all you want, but I am trying and this just isn't my gig....I know I know "do or do not....there is no try" Yoda.

Pretty hard to test it if I can't get the damn thing off though.

Also scared to break it, but that's next..... :oops:

Jer
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If you didn’t get the entire pin out, it’ll never come apart. And if my memory serves me right, from underneath, I was working from the passenger’s side (it was 11 years ago). Also, if the socket doesn’t move at all on the ball, it is frozen together ( as mentioned in my April 25th post). Unless Jim as a better idea, just soak the heck out of the joint until it moves and comes apart… but it won’t do any good if any of the retaining pin is still there. Once apart, clean the socket and ball completely. Then do it again… I know how “good enough” goes with many people. :twisted:
When re-assembling, coat with lots of grease

Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Ok thanks...didn't realize the whole pin had to come out.....I just flipped it over.....the socket moves freely.....I just didn't want to pull it out if it didn't need to comeout...thanks

Jer
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The pin through the socket keeps it on the ball.
the socket moves freely
if frozen, it'll keep the syncros from locking in place... this seem to imply Jim will be eating this summer :lol:
iirc, if the cable adjustment is too short, it'll jump out of high range also ... but don't trust me on that right now... my mind is pondering circuit breakers, relays, air compressor and other FMTV things right now :roll:

Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks Dave
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

well it's not the transfer case it was just the cable (too short)..I drained the case and the fluid was clear (no yukon gold). I phoned Karl Portmann at Pinzgauer Canada and he said it would only be 1200 bucks for a re-built one anyway if you send him your old one SO THAT WAS GREAT.

Anyway..thanks everyone....now the speedo.....have some ppl coming to look at here tomorrow...maybe it will sell and I can start looking for a soft top soon.

Jer
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Jer

You can't give up on her just 'cause of a few gliches.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford