A leaking front boot question

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
crcpinz

Re: A leaking front boot question

Post by crcpinz »

I thought all you needed to do was split the axle to get to the O-ring (am I wrong?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xja888lMeF0
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

This from 2006:
Have a boot that is cracked on my rear diff and it is leaking a little oil.

To fix the oil leak is all that has to be replaced the O Ring OR does the stop ring and rubber stop ring have to be replaced also? Can these parts be replaced without having to take the differential apart?

I know the wheel drive has to be pulled off which I already plan on doing in order to install a one piece axle boot.
All seals can be replace without taking the dif. apart. Replace them all while you have the axle drive pulled. It will save you having to pull it again. It should take about 5 hours (start to finish) if you take your time. The tough part is compressing the spring.
http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... eak#p14803

Just a reminder, when you do a search, don't forget to check the OLD Technical Section of the forum. :wink:
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I replaced all 4 of my boots using that axle method, as I wanted the yellow OEM style. If there is significant oil in the boot, can the o-ring be replaced easily at this point? Or whatever seal there is between the boot and the differential? My left rear boot is getting oil in it, I want to fix it right. But I would rather just keep adding oil if I have to remove the differential to fix the leak.

Jim?
Scott?
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Do you not have to take the metal ring out too? Does the diff need to be opened to get this out? I am sure I need to replace the o-ring, along with at least one rubber stop ring....

Metal ring..

Stop ring...
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

that piece does not need the diff torn down to replace, although the book says to have the case separated. If care is taken when reinstalling the metal ring and a little lube is used on the Oring in the housing it will go together. When I did all six of mine I had to take the diffs apart as the axle cuffs were scuffed up pretty bad. The boots were in good shape and I was the first private owner so I don't know who scratched up the cuffs. Today I think I would have spent some time trying to make the mating surface smooth before taking out the diffs, that is a lot of work.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It appears that Andre's suggestion about going with heavier weight gear oil did the trick. I went from 90 to 140 and have not noticed any leaks over night. I've not yet driven it but this appears to be a good interim solution to my leaking boot issue.

Morris - you were right about 90 weight resembling motor oil. Other than the smell (aroma?) they seemed to have the same viscosity.
Last edited by texas pinzgauer on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

thats the plan. remove the axle end and spring, pull the rings(stop, and o) and replacing the boot.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

I'm on the reassembly side of replacing the O ring and stop on my drivers side diff. I used a mcpherson struct compressor for my springs and it bent into this = ( ).I removed the drivers side body and front bolt mounts, loosened the other side a bit and jacked the body up 1" and the partially compressed spring came right out. Removed all the bolts off the shaft, spread the the gap on the bottom of the shaft a bit and pushed it off with a pair of porta powers. Removed the O ring and stop cleaned it all up, applied black sicone sealer to hold the O ring in place, coated the stop with sealer and bolted it in.Replaced the boot. I spread the opening on the shaft with a wedge a little more, it made it go on a lot easier than it came off. Greased the axel splines w/ grease and coated the shaft with anti-seize and me and a friend stabbed it back on and pulled into place with a comealong.

I need to get new shock mount bolts as I bent them with the porta power pushing the shaft out.

I'm doing all this in my driveway, so if it stops raining I plan on mounting the spring this evening.
I took pictures but my computer is down and I'm on a borrowed one.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Be very interested in those pics. Especially how things got bent and shots of what you used to do the job. Thanks
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I used Never-Seize on the shaft (instead of Lock-Tight, which is what Steyr recommends). I did that in case I ever had to remove it again.
I fabricated a tool similar to the factory tool to remove the axle housing. How did you rig a come-a-long to force the housing back into place?
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

I hooked it to the lower shock bolts on both sides, running the cable thru the gap in front of the diff.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I used a mcpherson struct compressor for my springs and it bent into this = ( ).
This may work ok for the rear springs (?), but I wouldn't want to do this on the fronts, unless you're a lot braver than I. I don't think your average strut compressor is heavy enough for Pinz springs.
I used Never-Seize on the shaft (instead of Lock-Tight, which is what Steyr recommends). I did that in case I ever had to remove it again.
If you are referring to the stub axle where the wheel assembly clamps around it, you need loctite not anti-sieze. While the loctite makes removal difficult, a hogged-out locating pin hole will make it damn-near impossible. To my knowledge, the locating pin is insufficient to prevent rotation, both on-road and off.

Here's a previous thread on locktite being used on the axles: http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... e+locktite
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I can testify to the failure of the locator pin/bolt to keep the axle from spining on the stub shaft. I clean the stub shaft as to remove any rust/debris and reassemble dry. If the porta-power is used correctly, it wont cause any damage when removing. I install the axle end with a wedge and a lever.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Here's the link to the post I made when I replaced my rear boots.

http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerB ... xle#p32619

I will use Loctite if I replace the o-ring and seal. The o-ring part number is 9013797, SAV has them.
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

krick3tt wrote:Be very interested in those pics. Especially how things got bent and shots of what you used to do the job. Thanks