Hub Swivel Balls Losing Their Shine?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
BillG

Hub Swivel Balls Losing Their Shine?

Post by BillG »

Can the hub swivels be removed and re-plated, or is a total replacement in order?
How much do a set for a 712M cost in the U.S., and who has them?
"To Infinity...and beyond!" -Buzz Lightyear
undysworld
Norway

Re: Hub Swivel Balls Losing Their Shine?

Post by undysworld »

Can't help you on resurfacing, but it looks like they are available through SAV, and maybe other places too.

Here's a link to their parts pages: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=04-01

Drivers side new is $565, passenger side new is $465. Looks like they have used ones too.

If you aren't already familiar with SAV's site, you should be. These parts may be available from other vendors, and I'm not trying to imply that you should buy from SAV. But their web site is the most helpful with parts info, in my opinion.
BillG

Post by BillG »

There is an astounding difference in price between SAV's pricing on these. Is the lower price for _just_ the housing without all the innards and the higher for the unit complete with plugs, twistys and frammus junctions?
There is a ...../30 part and a .....'U' part. What's the difference?

Oh...(Read the instructions, moron)...
Never Mind!
Thanks for the reply. Now I see it... :roll:
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

On any part on the SAV site "U" indicates a used part.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I did replate the swivel balls on my 716, primarily because they were hensteeth...if I could have bought a pair of outer housing then, I would of.
The plating was more than SAV pricing for the 710/12's and I spent a long time on a lathe dressing and polishing the parts....
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
BillG

Post by BillG »

Thank you, Dave.
There's a 710M for sale here that needs new front housings and probably rear ones to.
Studying the drawings, it appears that the finish on the ball surfaces may not be too critical because they are housings and not fitted drive components They are intended to operate exposed to the elements and interface to the outer housings with a flexible seal. So if the plating ablates, the seal surface wears rapidly, but as long as the ball surface is relatively smooth, the seal wipes road debris off the surface and all is well.
Why did you have to lathe and dress so much? Was it before plating or after?
Did you have them done in hard chrome?
My interest is because having anything sent into Mexico costs almost double after shipping and importation duties, whereas local labor and machine services are relatively inexpensive. Also, If I buy new/used and install, then I have the old parts to deal with...which maybe I could restore for much the same cost as replacement.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The balls are filled with oil, so it isn’t just a wipe, lubicates the cv joints
The swivels were badly pitted. The plater sent them out to strip them. Look like the moon with craters. Unfortunately, I had to deal with them after plating…. Not fun…live and learn :roll: . The company did nickel plating, they specialized in medical and helicopter parts plating, so this was a new experience for us both.
This was 10 years ago, and the supply of TD parts were almost nil… and you think 710/12 parts are expensive
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
BillG

Post by BillG »

Good information! I will look closely at the surface condition where the plating has ablated. Of course the hubs are oil-filled, so when the ball surface goes, all the CV lube goes. So must check for bad cv joints as well.
The 710 in question looks like it was like _never_ maintained. The axle boots are non-existent and there is brake fluid obviously drizzling from one wheel.
The seller is asking US$9,900 for it ($120,000.00MX [pesos]) and my strategy is going to find as many things wrong with it as I possibly can; deduct the cost of repair parts FOB La Paz, then divide the result by 2. I think the truck is worth about US$3000, but maybe less if the cv joints are burned-out.
I haven't even begun on the engine.
Thank you so much for sharing your info.
Cheers!=Bill
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

I wouldn't worry about the front CV joints. As long as there is any Oil in the front wheel drive the CVs are lubricated sufficiently.
Even without Oil they would last a long time before going bad. The upper portal bearings are more a lot sensitive to a lack of
lubrication and will die long before the CV joint will.

A hole in the fuel tank is a way bigger pain in the a**.

Richard