Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Post by stiffler4444 »

We have these at work for inspecting pipes. I'll be bringing it home on the weekend. Will show me the goods for sure..... :wink:
1972 710m
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Now to play devils advocate. What are the chances that it is a CV joint? He did say it sounded like it came from under the front seat and not the middle of the truck and with no rolling resistance, makes me wonder.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Might be the front "witch hat" on the back of the front diff which supports the rear to front driveshaft and houses the locker mech. I had the bearing go once which made a similar noise.

My suggestion is jacking it up and turning each wheel and groups to see when it occurs - I would suggest not testing the front locker mechanism as its easy to break more if something is wrong with it. Don't drive it more!
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Thanks all. For sure won't drive it any more till the issue is identified
1972 710m
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

What are the chances that it is a CV joint?
The CV joint in the steering knuckle is MASSIVE. it is probably the last thing that will fail (assuming that it is kept lubed). But hey, that's relatively easy to get to, just dissasemble the hub and it pulls right out. But (unfortunately) in this case my money's on the diff.

I think you can get in to inspect the witches hat by opening the locker switch cover and removing the switch.

10 minutes with a borescope will tell all about the diff, then he'll know where to start.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Survey saaaayz...?
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Sorry, was busy this weekend trying to do the 'quick' fix on my 62 Dodge, as I need a second vehicle while the pinz is down. I am off for 10 days starting Saturday, so the Pinzie job will commence then.

Sadly, I did notice a nice puddle of gear oil under the front diff last night, so my situation has probably gone from gears to gears and case.... :( :( :(

I see that SAV offers up the whole unit, used for around $1500 plus shipping.........is that the best deal around? I have no issues with shipping and picking in up in NY, so the brokerage and whatnot wouldn't be an issue.....

Let me know your thoughts on parts, I'm open to advice that will save me $$$$.

I also intend to contact Pinzgauer Canada once I know exactly what I need...who knows, maybe just cracked a seal, but I must plan for the worst "case" scenario.....bad joke. :roll:
1972 710m
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Thilo in Prescott, AZ, might have something. Or Scott at Expedition Imports in Vallejo, CA. Or Linden Engineering in Aurora, CO.
Larry in AZ has a parts vehicle, call 602-370-9170
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

pinzinator wrote:Thilo in Prescott, AZ, might have something. Or Scott at Expedition Imports in Vallejo, CA. Or Linden Engineering in Aurora, CO.
Larry in AZ has a parts vehicle, call 602-370-9170
Thanks for the suggestions. I've emailed Karl at PC to try the local route, but if that doesn't work, I'll start on your list.......

Once I begin to tear into this, I'll post up some pics....always nicer to look at when it's not your own vehicle :lol:

tx Dave
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Been doing a search, but can't locate a thread that speaks to jack stand placment when I'm removing the front diff case and all the other goodies that have to come off. I presume I need to place them under the tub somewhere, but can anyone tell me the best place? Don't need to damage something else during this teardown..... :|
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:Been doing a search, but can't locate a thread that speaks to jack stand placment when I'm removing the front diff case and all the other goodies that have to come off. I presume I need to place them under the tub somewhere, but can anyone tell me the best place? Don't need to damage something else during this teardown..... :|
That is a great question! I was thinking the same thing. From the pics I have seen, and the way mine was lifted at PC and my local, is above the wheels, right on the edge.

...or like this, but in the front... :D
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Good pic, thanks. I'll have to just snoop around the front and figure it out. I think in order to do what I have to do, the front bumperettes and everything else need to come off, so my choices will be limited!

tx Dave
1972 710m
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I built adjustable stands for mine. I place them at the outside edge just inside the skin. There is a main support tube running the length of the truck that holds everything up nicely.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Check your manual. There is a picture of the jack points when removing the "front axle". Its past the 6 wheel section in the manual.

I noticed mine is leaking pretty bad from the boot as well. I made sure it was topped off until i can find time to tear it open.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Here's a couple of pics that show the "shrapnel" that came out of my front case when draining the fluid. Looks like pieces of a small bearing race, but could be gear teeth as well.....

More to come as I progress.....
Attachments
gear shrapnel.jpg
gear shrapnel.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
gear shrapnel 2.jpg
gear shrapnel 2.jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
1972 710m