Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Post by stiffler4444 »

Ok, latest item to be pulled out of the drain plug hole from the front case....a hex key bolt, bent and snapped off at the threads???

BTW, that role of wire that comes in the tool kit works well as a "hook and pull" device.....plus having fingers small enought to feel around in there helps.....

An inspection with an LED through the drain hole reveals that all of the bevel gears, etc are all still in place as well.....

thoughts?
Attachments
bolt3.jpg
bolt3.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
bolt2.jpg
bolt2.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
bolt1.jpg
bolt1.jpg (6.95 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
Last edited by stiffler4444 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'm struggling to remember such a bolt in there. From a look at the parts diagram, I'd guess your spider assembly has fallen apart..
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Ok, is this what the manual refers to as a "cheesehead" bolt?

As well, when jacked up, it appears to be locked, both front wheels travel in the same direction......and no apparent rattling sound now that the bolt is out.....
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote:Ok, latest item to be pulled out of the drain plug hole from the front case....a hex key bolt, bent and snapped off at the threads???

BTW, that role of wire that comes in the tool kit works well as a "hook and pull" device.....plus having fingers small enought to feel around in there helps.....

An inspection with an LED through the drain hole reveals that all of the bevel gears, etc are all still in place as well.....

thoughts?

Could that be part 32?

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

berger wrote:
stiffler4444 wrote:Ok, latest item to be pulled out of the drain plug hole from the front case....a hex key bolt, bent and snapped off at the threads???

thoughts?

Could that be part 32?

really looks like #32....by George, I think you've got it!
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

If you look in the repair manual under "disaggregating the housing", it looks like part #44, cheese head screw. :(

Well, at any rate, everything still needs to come apart, but the bevel gears rotate when I spin the wheels, so I'm probably not looking at a mass failure......we'll see. :roll:
1972 710m
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

stiffler4444 wrote: so I'm probably not looking at a mass failure......we'll see. :roll:
I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.
1972 710K
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

If the diff is lock, and it appears it is since both wheels are turning the same direction, the two pinions are tied together so the spider (bevel) gears are doing nothing I believe. In that case you could still be looking at item #32. My other thought is that the side bevel gears have seized to their shaft causing the diff to appear locked. Just my 2 cents but as you realize, time to take it all apart and learn. Best wishes for a bunch of labor without a bunch of part$
'76 710K
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that bolt appears to have come from an Execution II upgrade kit.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

pinzinator wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but that bolt appears to have come from an Execution II upgrade kit.
time for those more knowledgeable than me to chime in...I am unaware if this unit recieved that upgrade....
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

pinzinator wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but that bolt appears to have come from an Execution II upgrade kit.
I believe you are right....so what does it look like without the upgrade? Cannot find the diagram for that. Could there be a similar bolt?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

After carefully viewing Scott's driveline video a couple times, it clearly looks like the #32 cheeshead bolt that holds the bevel gears together (the ones inline with the axle.).

I expect to start the full tear down this weekend, if my other truck's carb replacement goes smoothly.

Sucks when both of your toys are down! :cry:
1972 710m
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Take pictures and post them if possible, I'm curious.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

pinzinator wrote:Take pictures and post them if possible, I'm curious.
Will do, I'm sure I'll need advice once I get in there, and picture is worth a thousand attempts at explaining something wrong!!! :lol:
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Hi again,

Karl Portman from Pinzgauer Canada had a look at the pics and told me it looks like it came from the Planet gear, M10x70mm or M10x80mm. A bit hard to determine length, since it is snapped off, but once openned up it will be much clearer.....

From my understanding of what a planet gear is, would that be another term for the bevels do you think?

tx Dave
1972 710m