Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Big bang, now metal "rattling" sound...yikes!

Post by stiffler4444 »

Thanks Jim. I was waiting for this "tough love" version. As much as I didn't want to admit it to myself , as soon as I saw the puddle of gear oil on the garage floor I had a sinking feeling that my case was probably cracked. Facts being what they are, it's a sucky failure and it's gonna cost me time and money.
But heck, if I wanted it easy and cheap, I'd ride a bicycle....lol
Again, I appreciate the info and will definately consult your posted info to assist in my repair.
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

So, with the assistance of my Brother in law, we got the front end out. It was an adventure, but a relief upon completion. Dug into the diff case, and to my relief, it's all there, intact and in nice shape. The bearings are smooth, gears aren't missing any teeth and the case is not cracked. As suspected, the cheese head bolt that holds the spider gears together had fractured in it's shaft and worked it's way out until finally the big "bang" as it contacted with the spinning gears.

You can still see the threaded end in place, so looks like I'll need to drive the gears out with a pin punch and get the bolt end removed. Hopefully then just a matter of putting it all back together with a new bolt and away we go.

Any observations or advice is welcome of course! :)

P.S. I know I need a new split boot...lol
Attachments
pinz gear 2.jpg
pinz gear 2.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
pinz gear 3.jpg
pinz gear 3.jpg (117 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
pinz gear1.jpg
pinz gear1.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
pinz gear 4.jpg
pinz gear 4.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

stiffler4444 wrote: P.S. I know I need a new split boot...lol
Forget split boot! Get yourself a solid one...since it is apart and all. :mrgreen:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I'd still have to pull the axle drive....guess I might as well learn as I go....it would match the other side.... :lol:
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'm not sure I'd go with a solid boot. Solid boots are definitely nicer than split boots. But unless you've got the wheel drive off already for some other reason, it's a lot of work to go through for not a huge difference in performance, IMHO.

Yeah, the diff. is out of the truck, but that's not exactly "apart and all" as far as boots go. A split boot can be installed now with relative ease, while installing a solid boot requires some further "apart and all" of the wheel drive. Frankly, I'd rather remove a wheel drive with the differential still attached to the truck so the dang thing will stand still.

Which leads me around to the reason I was going to reply in the first place: What did you use to support the differential while you removed it from the truck? I've removed my rear axles on my 712, but there you just roll the rear axles out on their own tires. I've never had the misfortune to need to remove a single axle yet. How did you support it, and how difficult was it?
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I used a heavy duty floor jack to pull it out. Kept the stress off the input shaft and rolls easily. The only tricky part was removing the springs first, but a little bit of jacking on each side respectively unloaded the springs enough to remove safely.

Tx Dave
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Got some parts on the way from Scott, figured it's a good time to update my front shocks too :D
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

undysworld wrote:I'm not sure I'd go with a solid boot. Solid boots are definitely nicer than split boots. But unless you've got the wheel drive off already for some other reason, it's a lot of work to go through for not a huge difference in performance, IMHO.

Yeah, the diff. is out of the truck, but that's not exactly "apart and all" as far as boots go. A split boot can be installed now with relative ease, while installing a solid boot requires some further "apart and all" of the wheel drive. Frankly, I'd rather remove a wheel drive with the differential still attached to the truck so the dang thing will stand still.

Which leads me around to the reason I was going to reply in the first place: What did you use to support the differential while you removed it from the truck? I've removed my rear axles on my 712, but there you just roll the rear axles out on their own tires. I've never had the misfortune to need to remove a single axle yet. How did you support it, and how difficult was it?
I've decided to go with the split boot, as per your point about the wheel drive being easier to deal with while it's "in" the truck. Maybe next time I'll do the solid boot(s), as I presently have 2 solid and 2 split....I don't really feel like any additional work after pulling that front end out! :wink:
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Soooooo......got all my required parts from E.I. and S.A.V. today. Split boot, shocks, a couple of ignition keys, some brake/tail lights and..........

the real culprit of all my woes......the 10mx70 exection 1 bolt. Well, I ordered 2 just because.....

Anyways, thanks to the suppliers for the quick shipping and special thanks to Scott at E.I. for throwing in a couple of items I needed for no charge. That's impressive these days! :D
Attachments
Pinz 10m70 bolt.jpg
Pinz 10m70 bolt.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 5098 times
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Just got this pic from the Bro in law at the garage. Old broken bolt threads are removed with delicate care. Looks like diff reassembly will take place tonight. Things are moving along rather smoothly...........so far 8)
Attachments
Pinz 10m70 bolt removed.jpg
Pinz 10m70 bolt removed.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 5086 times
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

New 10m70 bolt installed...with a healthy dose of permanent thread lock.. :)
Attachments
pinz 10m70 installed.jpg
pinz 10m70 installed.jpg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Take lots of pics!!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

berger wrote:Take lots of pics!!
Pretty much trying to take a pic at every step of reassembly. Will post up after each major piece. The pics will be of great value for others who need to disaggregate the front end/diffs. I hope not to do it again for a while..... :lol:

tx Dave
1972 710m
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Got the gears back into the case (bottom half anyway). Will be double checking everything tonight then hopefully bolting all back together ahead of the impending reassembly process. Getting excited to have front wheels again..... 8)
Attachments
pinz spider gear reassembled2.jpg
pinz spider gear reassembled2.jpg (115.97 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
pinz spider gear reassembled1.jpg
pinz spider gear reassembled1.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
1972 710m
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Good pic of the o-ring.

I'm going to have to remove the aluminum ring the boots slips over to replace a few things, but mine is really on there tight. With the case open I am sure it is easy, but was yours stuck on, or did you need to remove it?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol