Flashing locker lights?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Flashing locker lights?

Post by McCall Pinz »

I was messing around in a gravel pit last weekend with both lockers on and the front locker light started flashing. I haven't checked to see if that light is even connected to the flasher unit, but have you ever seen this? What does it mean?
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
undysworld
Norway

Re: Flashing locker lights?

Post by undysworld »

If it's flashing in time with the directional signal blinker, I'd suspect a bad ground somewhere in the dash area. If it's just randomly flashing on/off regardless of whether the locker lever is down or not, I'd suspect the switch at the locker probably got a connection loosened up and is randomly grounding. If you ground the wire which runs down to the switch, the light should be on. The switch is located on the opposite side of the central tube from the hydraulic slave cylinder for each locker. The central locker is just forward of the transfer case. The front axle locker is just behind the front diff.
landy

Re: Flashing locker lights?

Post by landy »

I would first check to see if the locker is in fact engaging. That help narrow down the potential causes. On mine, the slave cylinder wasn't completely engaging, so the locker wasn't engaging, hence the locker indicator light would flash on and off. If it's the slave, it may benefit from disassembling it and cleaning out the accumulated sludge.