Locker rebuild??

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
critter
United States of America

Locker rebuild??

Post by critter »

Having trouble with the left side locker disengaging. Is it designed like the brake system with a piston to push the hydrolic fluid? Is there a rebuild kit? Appreciate any suggestions.
audiocontr
United States of America

Re: Locker rebuild??

Post by audiocontr »

There are simple rebuild kits. Have you tried releasing the pressure at the locker? Be cautious of forcing the levers as they will break.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Yes they will break. I have broken one and they are not cheap (for what they are) to replace and although it is not difficult to replace them, it is not really necessary if one is careful.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Critter,
I don't want to sound condescending but when you say "left side" locker, you mean the rear axle lock right? Because there is no left and right lockers. Just front and rear.
mopar
United States of America

Post by mopar »

I had the same problem with my 712 when I bought it was stuck locked up. I flushed and bled the the master and slave cylinders as it was said they get a waxy build up. This didn't work for me. I ended up going to the axles disconnecting the slave and the plate on the opposite side with the rear end jacked up to keep pressure off of the locker. and the with a punch and socket and a buddy on one side disengaged the pin that locks it. They are 2 cylinders think bullseye. so on one side the deep socket was used to push or hol the outer cylinder and the punch was used to push the inner cylinder from the other side. May have had to give a tap with a hammer on the punch side to get it to release. IT was just bound up really good metal on metal (think pencil inside a piece of tubing. One it was freed I flushed bled it again and it was good to go. Did not have to rebuild. This will make more sense when you look at it or if you look at some diagrams. I was kind of told somewhat what to do over the phone and when I actually got down and did I was able to see and figure out how to manipulate it to get the mechanism freed up. Hope that helps as this is from memory about three years ago and I don't have a pinz in front of me to take pictures and go into more detail.
Last edited by mopar on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

I suggest flushing out the system first since it may fix the problem and if you haven't done it yet, it probably needs it anyway. I had troubles with one locker not engaging, but flushing the system fixed the problem; now my lockers work fine.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

I do mean the rear axle lock. It engages, but is very difficult to disengage.
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

That would be either the flex line from cab to spine frame pipe is collapsed or plugging with crystallized/waxed brake fluid or the release valve in the master for that locker. Most of the time it is just the hose gone bad(should be the third hose from driver side). remove the splash shield at air tunnel to access the hoses.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Jim:

I was out in some muck last weekend and went to lock in the middle locker (front diff I think) and it was a bit hard to get it engaged. The handle/lever finally popped into place, but now it feely moves up and down and it never engaged. I haven't had the time to pull anything apart and look at it yet, but would you think I may have the same problem? What should I look at when I take the cover off?

The rear diff locks (right lever nearest passenger seat). I can also get the left lever (both diffs) to engage, but I think it's only engaging the rear diff. It doesn't appear to be engaging the front as she steers too easy.

Thanks,

John
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Left lever = 4x4
Middle lever = rear locker
Right lever = front locker
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

sounds more like you forced the lever hard enough to break 07-15-21 and/or 07-15-27 If you force the locker levers these cast aluminum pieces will break. simply take off bakelite handles, remove cover plate and a quick visual will tell you if that is what has happened.
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

Yep, Broke mine last year. You do not want to force them.

Bob
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

I think you are probably right. I did force it thinking it was merely hung up. Live and learn right?

I'll have to look at it this weekend. How difficult is it to get the handles off? I don't want to break anything else while making a repair :D I couldn't tell if the handles just unscrewed or not. I'm guessing that the knob at the top should unscrew???

Hey thanks for the help. I really love this truck and need to get her back into 4x4 mode as she will be spending some time in the woods in the coming months.

John
critter
United States of America

Post by critter »

John,

The knobs on top will pull straight up. Just twist back and forth and pull up.

Bob
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Easy way to remove them is to put an adjustable spanner just under the knob and lift. It puts no force on the shaft and fits the base of the knob just right.
Same for the knobs on the doors.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford