another mystery leak

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
bonefish635
Great Britain

another mystery leak

Post by bonefish635 »

Noticed a leak today. On the inward face of one of the rear hubs, vertically aligned with and down from the wheel centre there is a small hole (not either of the portal hub fill/drain holes) and it is weeping clean oil of some sort. The hole is maybe 5mm or 1/5" across and looks like it is supposed to be there. None of the other hubs is even showing signs of moisture at that point. Niether of the fill/drain bolts is leaking at all.

Any idea what would leak through there? My own fixing skills pretty much peaked with replacing the starter motor. If I take the hub apart I'm asking for trouble.

I can take photos if that would help diagnosis.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
berger
Canada

Re: another mystery leak

Post by berger »

Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Tony,

Stick your finger in it and smell it. It's either gear lube or brake fluid. Gear lube is decidedly nasty-smelling stuff. Berger may well be right, and a quick sniff will narrow it down fast.
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

The link to the previous thread, and the EI video there was very helpful. It isn't in the same league as those leaks for volume of loss, but shows the same dispersal point. After a prod about, I'd now suggest it's coming from the seal between the portal hub casing inside face (facing outwards to the wheel back) and the back face of the backplate housing the hub and I suppose mounting the brake pads etc. I was able to see some rubbery black sealant peeling off there just now looking more closely.

Is that a junction that needs a gasket or just some sealant like it has now?

Thanks again,

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)