Missing bolt/stud on Differential?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
berger
Canada

Missing bolt/stud on Differential?

Post by berger »

While I was bleeding my lockers, I noticed that I may be missing a bolt/stud and acorn nut right where the rear diff connects to the torque tube and just behind the locker slave. I could be wrong, so I was hoping someone could verify? It also seems I get seepage in that area, so could that be the problem...a missing bolt/stud?
missing2.jpg
missing2.jpg (54.18 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
missing1.jpg
missing1.jpg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Re: Missing bolt/stud on Differential?

Post by undysworld »

I can't really see much from your photos. But as far as acorn nuts gp, IIRC, they are long threaded rods, with acorn nuts on both ends. Check the opposite end of your diff. Perhaps it's broken off inside the diff.
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

undysworld wrote:I can't really see much from your photos. But as far as acorn nuts gp, IIRC, they are long threaded rods, with acorn nuts on both ends. Check the opposite end of your diff. Perhaps it's broken off inside the diff.
I think that is what happened. If you see the second photo, there is an acorn missing above the one showing, and there isn't one on the other side. How would I get the rod out without cracking the case?
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I believe the rod runs through the entire case.
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Guess you'd have to drill that out.....

or better yet, just pull the diff and send it to me. I'll test it out in the front of mine.... :lol: ....sorry, couldn't resist.....
1972 710m
wrangler0511

Post by wrangler0511 »

Haha, no need to worry. There is nothing wrong with your truck. This hole in the central tube is unused. It is only there because the
central tube is symmetrical front and rear. The front diff uses all of the mounting points the transfer case on the other hand doesn't.

So please don't drill anything out unless you want to have an additional oil fill hole.

Richard