Execution I or II - How can you tell?

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
mm58
United States of America

Execution I or II - How can you tell?

Post by mm58 »

Is there an external way to tell if a Pinz has the Type I or Type II installed?

Mike
Mike

'76 710K
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Execution I or II - How can you tell?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

NO. You can drain the oil and have a look inside, with a little education you should be able to make out the model.
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

OK, so where do you look?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Take out the diff drain plug (bottom center), drain the oil (probably time for gear oil change anyway, right?), and look up into the drain hole with a good light while you slowly rotate one of the wheels on that axle until you can see each end of the bevel gears. I can't describe the difference between EXEC 1 and EXEC 2 so I can't tell you what to specifically check; but I think maybe the EXEC 1 has the cross screw threaded directly into the gear hub and EXEC 2 had a nut pressed into a pocket in the hub? Someone with more hands on than me could best tell us the difference and what to see.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

[img]excII02.jpeg[/img]

Execution II has a groove offset from center on the spider hub
'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

This is EXEC II:
Note the groove across the back of the gear, and the how the bolt screws into the gear hub.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Nice! Finally a picture of this Exec 2 setup.
1972 710m
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

Okay... so let's say I purchase a Pinz that has the Exec I diffs. How concerned should I be?, and how much emphasis
should I give to having them upgraded to Exec II?

Have any of you ever had your Exec I diff blow up on you?

Thanks

Mike
Mike

'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The groove in the gear is to allow more oil into the bearing surface of the gear rotation. The spider gears only rotate when the vehicle is turning, or you are spinning a tire on one side. Traveling straight, there is NO WEAR at on on the gears and bushings.

So the question is: do you often mash the throttle on turns or spin the tires wildly when offroading? If so, better get EXEC II. If you are gentle on it in the turns then I guess you take your chances, but IMHO EXEC I isn't a bomb waiting to go off -- it's just not as well lubed as EXEC II. I'm not sure what is in either of my trucks (I don't know how many were converted by the Swiss) but I've had both for a combined total of twenty years and about 85,000 miles and had nary a problem with the diffs. YMMV.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

Thanks Jim!

I'm a very mechanically inclined person, and have a very well equipped and capable home machine shop.
How feasible would it be to modify a Ex I by milling a groove, drilling/boring out any holes and essentially turning a I into a II?
Mike

'76 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Let's clear up some miss information, the ex1 has a bolt and one threaded pin half and no shaft bushings(cast pin to steel gears), the ex2 has a bolt with a hardened captive friction nut in the pin half and the gears ride on free floating bronze sleeve bushings.
Both types are pressed into the center pinion shaft then bolted and torqued and both types have the groove on the gearsets for lube.
They generally fail during extended low oil level operation under extreme load or general foolishness :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

It sounds like a lot of worry and a lot of work for nothing. I think the typical stance on this issue is that if your diff blows up and you must get it replaced, you might as well upgrade, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your exec 1 may never have any issues and that being quite likely and possible, the time and money could be better spent on other repairs and upgrades.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

CentAr and Jim, I understand where you're coming from, trust me, I'm just thinking about this from a "preventative maintenance" perspective.

I don't want to have a diff "blow up" on me and have to spend $$$$$ to fix it, when I could've only spent $$ to prevent it in the first place.
That being said, I appreciate all the comments and wisdom on this topic. I'm a total babe in the woods as far a Pinz's go.
I am at the steep end of the Pinzgauer learning curve, and I have a lot to learn.

(maybe I should've titled this thread "Execution I or II - How Important is it?"

Thank you all,

Mike
Mike

'76 710K
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

Dump the old fluid out and see what it looks like before you jump into changing parts around. Use a magnet in the old fluid just to get an idea and then go from there.
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

That's a very good idea, but I have a feeling the seller would not be amenable to doing that.
Mike

'76 710K