4x4 Locker only partially engages

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
John L
United States of America

4x4 Locker only partially engages

Post by John L »

Guys:

So, I flushed the hydraulics system for the 4x4 lockers. The front diff engages by itself, the rear diff engages by itself, but when I pull the green lever only the back diff engages. I can't get it to go into 4x4 mode. The front wont lock with the green lever. I've searched the forum and didn't see any immediate answers. I was hoping that bleeding the system would solve the trouble.

When I blead the system I got out some really nice coca cola looking fluid with some yellow floaters. So, it hadn't been done in a while.

Anyone with a possible solution? Could the fresh fluid allow the part to free up over time? Or am I looking at taking something apart and cleaning it?

Thanks,

John
John L
United States of America

Re: 4x4 Locker only partially engages

Post by John L »

In follow up, I went back and re-read Jer Bear's post from December of 07 dealing with the 4x4 locker not disengaging. When reading it I question if I thoroughly blead the system properly. I DID NOT engage any of the master cylinders when bleeding the system. I merely hooked up the power bleeder and bled all three lockers. I'll get the equipment out again this evening and try re-bleeding all three lockers and engaging and disengaging the master cylinders as referenced in his post. Maybe there is some crap stuck in the lines that I can free up by moving the cylinders with the power bleeder hooked up.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss for a solution short of taking the slave cylinder apart under the truck.

Thanks Guys,

John
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

If those levers don't move easily, do not force them. That's how I broke one.
Good luck with the repairs.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
John L
United States of America

Post by John L »

Report: I used the power bleeder again but this time engaged each locker lever and rotated the bleeding to coincide with the appropriate lever. It solved the problem. My 4x4 fully engages now and light works. All repairs were successful.

Thanks for the help.

John