Installing an overdrive/ freeway gear

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Twin Pinzies

Re: Installing an overdrive/ freeway gear

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Even if a Pinzgauer could go 70, I would not want to ever go that fast in one!
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Even if a Pinzgauer could get up to 75, I would not want to ever go that fast in one. Yikes!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have been 70 mph in a pinz...not a fun ride. Scared the crap out of me. The same guy rolled his pinz the next day on a trail ride...I did not go that time.
Going 50 to 55 is plenty for me.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

So the 1,000 question again. If one wanted a 710 transfer case, would the $1,000 one on ebay have been a good deal?
I use my truck primamrly as a Boy Scout hauler so I drive it for 1 to 4 hours a trip each way, and would think having the increased gearing would be of value. The extra 5 mph I drove my 710K compared to what I drive my 712m would seem to be a good trade off for extream off roadability.

Oh I did just rebuild my motor as a 2.6L this summer.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jorgo

Post by Jorgo »

Driving my 712 in San Diego daily, and up through orange county occasionally, I just have to add my 2 worthless cents..... driving 55-60 in the slow lane in a Pinzgauer is not the same thing as driving in a non-Pinz at that speed.
In the 2 yrs I've been driving it, the Pinz gets a pass from the usual anger, as most think they've either come upon the tail end of a military convoy ( at least in San Diego, there's still a lot of respect, thumbs up etc for marine/navy hummer convoys on the roads), or once they notice the baby seats in the back and long haired driver, they pass by a little slower than usual to get a good look, with an abundance of thumbs up. never been honked at or flipped the bird out of slow-going-road-rage and I guess one more advantage is that with it being so loud at that speed, I may have missed any shouted expletives.....
Jorgo

24 TIRES
'73 712M
'74 712M
'04 G500
'07 Range Rover

"Those who were seen dancing
were thought to be insane
By those who could not hear the music"
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

krick3tt wrote:Going 50 to 55 is plenty for me.
+1 :!:

a point on http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/pinzg ... afety.html says

"Due to it’s weight the Pinz is classified as a truck in Europe which implies a speed limit of 80km/h."

I figure that is probably about right :D
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

and long haired driver,
Ha! I can so relate. We look rather incongruous in a military vehicle. (Although I must admit to a recent shearing, due to the hot summer. I figure once every 20 years whether I need it or not.)

BTW, my "other" car is an Subaru Impreza, and I think everybody avoided me there, thinking that I'm just an ugly lesbian. :roll:
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

The other issue with the Pinzgauer:

The local police followed me home again to see what it was, and how they could get one. Seems to happen quite regularly. Lots of hand shaking and "cools". I've emptied half a dozen out the local sandwich joint just driving up. I swear a Bugatti Veyron wouldn't cause as much fuss.

Not much chance of getting pulled over of breaking the highway speed limit, but you still seem to get to visit quite a bit. :P
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

undysworld wrote:
and long haired driver,
Ha! I can so relate. We look rather incongruous in a military vehicle. (Although I must admit to a recent shearing, due to the hot summer. I figure once every 20 years whether I need it or not.)

BTW, my "other" car is an Subaru Impreza, and I think everybody avoided me there, thinking that I'm just an ugly lesbian. :roll:
I like to think of myself as one as well.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

So out of interest why is a TD swap not a good idea for a 710 (gearing to far off, low end is now to high etc?)
Thanks,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

The gearing is too high,not enough power. If you lived in Kansas,would probably work but the clutch slipping to get going would grow old soon.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy