Installing an overdrive/ freeway gear

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Quinn

Installing an overdrive/ freeway gear

Post by Quinn »

Has anyone successfully installed an overdrive or taller 4th gear in 710/712? I am not looking to go faster....just gain the ability to cruise on the open highway at lower RPM's. Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

Quinn
Best regards,

Quinn
310-413-7819
quinn.merritt@gmail.com
M Wehrman
United States of America

Re: Installing an overdrive/ freeway gear

Post by M Wehrman »

The TD trans is probably the easiest and cheapest,lowers 5th gear from 4500rpm to 3500rpm. The compromise is if you are heavily loaded it likes to be started in 1st. OH! Did I happen to mention I have a good TD trans for sale? :)
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

First off, which do you have, 710 or 712? If you have a 712, find a 710 transfercase, you’ll gain 12% all around.
If you go the TD tranny, your 5th now become 4th and and you lose a around town gear, and find yourself using 1st where you never did before. Your 1st gear ratio becomes a point higher. Congratulations, You have just made your Pinzgauer an “entry level” Jeep off road :twisted: .
The TD tranny works with the 716/18s because the Transfercase is geared completely different… and no , a TD transfercase won’t fit in a 710/12
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Dunn said: Congratulations, You have just made your Pinzgauer an “entry level” Jeep off road

Apparently your crystal ball for how everyone else uses their Pinz is getting foggy :evil: I ran my trans for over 2 yrs,yes the gearing is a bit different,but there is NO WAY a 712 w/td trans is the same as an "entry level" jeep. Not trying to "dethrone" you,just people have different ideas of what they want from their Pinz. BTW the only reason I have the trans now is the person who bought my truck wanted the stock trans put back in. I would do it again,but I do agree that a 710 t-case would be a good middle ground.
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Mark, try not reading my post through a crystal ball.
I didn’t say a thing about how anyone used their Pinz, only that by putting a TD tranny into one, you’ve created a “EL” Jeep ( gearing wise).
People don’t seem to remember I had a 710 and a 712( long gone before this forum and before the 716). I had put a TD tranny into the 712, and if I hadn’t sold the 712, I was going to change it back.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Having lived for many years in Palos Verdes just south of Redondo Beach I think I know the driving conditions there quite well.
I was never very comfortable in the freeway traffic in that area with my 710k. Too much stop (hard) and go (like hell) driving with rush hour going from 5 am to 10 pm.
I can’t see any advantage to higher gearing than my 710k came with stock.
Maybe with one of Jim L’s improved motors I’d have a different opinion.
I just don’t think you would spend much time in fifth gear within an hour’s drive of Redondo Beach due to the traffic.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

a 710 transfercase just sold online. he had a $1,000 buy me know price on it, is that a reasonable price?
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Quinn

Post by Quinn »

A big thank you to everyone who provided suggestions. I'm currently in the market to purchase a 710 or 712. Hearing your thoughts/ ideas are extremely helpful in deciding which set up is best for me.

Rather than tampering with the gears, would anyone recommend increasing overall horsepower as an alternative? Or, would that be a more costly option? Remember - I'm looking for a more comfortable driving experience cruising down the highway on longer trips. Off roading is important but I am not an "extreme" off roader.

Sorry for asking so many basic questions. I'm a novice when it comes to Pinzgauers.....just trying to learn from folks who have far more knowledge/experience.

Quinn
Best regards,

Quinn
310-413-7819
quinn.merritt@gmail.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

None of these trucks will ever be a modern 4x4. You have to accept that before you can get along with your Pinz. It will always be loud and fairly slow (in comparison). 255/85 tires help a little and well-done sound insulation helps more than anything. The custom, insulated soft tops help a lot or in a K, have an upholstery shop make it sound better with a carpet kit, vibration mats and other insulation materials. It will cost you if you want it done right but it can be a night and day difference afterwards. I did one for a customer once and I cut sound in a K by at least 60% and that was without a proper budget.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

For me, speed is a bigger factor than the sound, but that's a personal choice.

Before I bought my 712, I was concerned about how slow they are. I've hit 65 once in mine, but it was pretty much screamin', and I wouldn't dare drive it that fast normally - both out of concern for the drive train's health and for handling concerns. To gauge whether I'd be happy at 50-55 mph on a regular basis, I determined to drive my Toyota pu no faster than 55 for a month. Even this wasn't a true test, because the Toyota has much quicker acceleration and braking, in addition to being way quieter.

It took me a lot longer to get places, but I was able to look around and see a lot more. However, if I had been rushing to get to work, it would have really sucked.

My Jeep CJ5 is way better on the highway, gets nearly the looks the Pinz does, and holds it's own off-road. It was never the safest vehicle on the road, but neither is the Pinz probably.

If you've never ridden in a Pinz, then hie thee to an owner to get a test drive/ride. Before you work too hard to purchase one, find out if you really want to drive one on-road. They work on road, but they only really shine off-road. If you want it for on-road mainly, you might not be too happy with a Pinz.
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

Yeah, Pinzgauers SUCK on long highway trips but my old 3 speed '53 Willy's Army Jeep was much, much worse!
I think that it topped out at about 50mph.
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

My 2 cents:
Try one first. Be sure and drive a 710 and 712 as they are quite different. Buy what you like then live with it for a while before you do any major modifications. Like many who come and go on this site, you may decide to sell after a year. Easier to sell if its unmolested.
But if you like it, then go put in a Goatwerks EFI and 2.7 liter engine. Best mod I ever had to my 712.
I'm happy at 55-60' mph but I can at least keep that speed on hills now, where as before I slowed to 40-45 mph on even moderate inclines.
And, it starts first try- hot, cold, wet, dry, incline or flat. Every time.
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I drive a different vehicle if I need to go on the Interstate. In California if you're not doing 70 or more you'll get rear-ended eventually. It's just not worth the risk.
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Quinn wrote:I'm looking for a more comfortable driving experience cruising down the highway on longer trips.
I'm not sure this is possible pragmatically in a 710/712, as much fun as a Pinz is, I kindly suggest long highway-speed trips are the wrong mission for a Pinz.

At 55+ mph mine (which has soundproofing) is as noisy as a single engine airplane and you'll need to wear something like earplugs or a headset to keep from hearing damage. Being tall and equipped 35 year old drum brakes at highway speed is also "uncomfortable" even though they work as designed. And I don't think the 710 is comfortable being asked to do 55-60 mph (even though you can cane it to do so). Seems happier crawling or cruising < under 50 mph. At night you better have flashing beacons on the back or someone doing 75+ is going to paste you.

Just one person's opinion, but 65-75 mph long trip highway cruiser and 710/712 does not sound like a good marriage to me.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

At 55+ mph mine (which has soundproofing) is as noisy as a single engine airplane and you'll need to wear something like earplugs or a headset to keep from hearing damage.
Yup. You will need some sort of noise quieting in/on your ears.
And I don't think the 710 is comfortable being asked to do 55-60 mph (even though you can cane it to do so). Seems happier crawling or cruising < under 50 mph
Well, this may depend on the actual truck, how warm it is, and how many miles you've put on it. I drive our stock 710M at 60-65 all day long on some trips in the summer; it doesn't sound unhappy and it's been purring for years. Our 712W has the 2.7l engine, FI, and the TD tranny and cruises in the low 60's easily (when warm; winter it still doesn't have the power to spin the cold gearboxes fast enough until they get warmed up). But both of these have a lightened, balanced main driveshaft which helps to reduce the vibrations. Without this driveshaft "improvement" I didn't do much over 55 before.
At night you better have flashing beacons on the back or someone doing 75+ is going to paste you.
Hey, I live in So Cal and I have never had any worry of getting hit by going slower than traffic. My opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) is that slower is safer than trying to keep up with idiots that are speeding, changing lanes, and otherwise driving stupidly. I just stay in the slow lane. Honestly, owning a Pinz has taught me to relax, slow down, and enjoy the scenery and not be in such a rush to get somewhere.

I've put 90,000 miles between both trucks, over a combined 19 years of ownership, and driven the 712W across the country. Noise canceling headphones and comfortable seats (and someone else's credit card for gas) and I'd go across the country again.

You REALLY have to try one for yourself to know if you can deal with the speed and noise and see what they can do offroad to be able to decide if a Pinz is for you (or not). YMMV.
Jim M.
712W and 710M