Leak at Cover on Transfer Case

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
undysworld
Norway

Leak at Cover on Transfer Case

Post by undysworld »

I'm looking at a friend's 710, which seems to have gear lube leaking from the passenger side of the transfer case, from under the little cover shown as part 58 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=02-50

It also shows a gasket, so I assume that could be my problem. I've looked in the manuals, and I've not seen anything to indicate that I shouldn't remove it. Is this cover truly just a cover I can unbolt to replace the gasket?
edzz
United States of America

Re: Leak at Cover on Transfer Case

Post by edzz »

As I understand the manual on page 18 of the auxiliary gear box section this is an access cover to provide access to adjust the selector fork see fig. 46.

I can see nothing that would prevent me from removing this cover to replace the gasket.
I would expect to lose some gear lube in the process.

:shock: Note: being as I have never had need to remove this cover my opinion is strictly based on what I see in the repair manual.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Thanks edzz, that was my guess there too. No worries about fluid, as a drain & fill was planned anyway.
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

When I first got mine it was leaking from there. I pulled it off and made a new gasket from a box of corn flakes and it has never leaked again. Simple R&R and refill the box.