Reverse Gear Potential Issue

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
khansmith

Reverse Gear Potential Issue

Post by khansmith »

Hello,
My pinz is getting delivered today and the driver of the transport said that he was unable to get it into reverse. I have never driven a pinz before so I thought I would reach out here to see if anyone could shed some light on the issue in case there might be a simple thing he has overlooked.

Regards,
Khan
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Reverse Gear Potential Issue

Post by pcolette »

It might be as simple as the driver is neglecting to push down on the shift knob before attempting to shift into reverse. This is a lockout to prevent inadvertent shifts from first to reverse.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Shifts just like an old VW.
Attachments
shift2.jpg
shift2.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
shift1.jpg
shift1.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 6554 times
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

:shock: It is most likely that the truck driver simply never learned to drive a manual transmission, so common now with people being brought up on automatic transmissions.

That said it could be (amongst other less probable things) bad shift bushings, a cheap and easy fix.

Even if it turns out that the driver simply doesn’t know his as from a hole in the ground I’d recommend inspecting these bushings and ordering a set for your field spares kit. See the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6426&hilit=bushing
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

Wow! You guys are fast! He didn't sound to bright so I hope it is just user error. I'll know later today.
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
bonefish635
Great Britain

Post by bonefish635 »

I find reverse is best found from first. On my '73 710K it isn't straight ahead of 1st (as the diagram suggests) but slightly to the right of straight ahead.

Once you've found it a couple of times, you won't miss it again.

Tony
1973 710K
2001 Landcruiser Amazon
2007 Range Rover Vogue (sold)
2001 Nissan Patrol GR 3.0TD (sold)
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

bonefish635 wrote:I find reverse is best found from first. On my '73 710K it isn't straight ahead of 1st (as the diagram suggests) but slightly to the right of straight ahead

Tony
+1 on that!! I was having a hard time getting into reverse without crunching gear teeth. Almost every time. Then I read a post about how the rev gear isn't syncro'd like the rest or the forward gears, and that by going into first (or any forward gear) first, and then quickly shifting into reverse, you'd avoid that crunch. WORKS LIKE A CHARM! I can now get into reverse like butter!
Last edited by mm58 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

'76 710K
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

And often the reverse "gate" (that requires the downward push to engage reverse) is not necessarily well adjusted. It is easy to understand with two people: one to sit in the seat and work the shifter, and one (you) to lie on the ground and see what is going on at the bottom of the shifter. It is right under the floor panel and easily visible when underneath, but you need to see the shift lever motion to really grasp what is is and what it does. Have your helper work the lever from first to neutral, then push down, then try to engage reverse. You will see how it works. Loosen two bolts and you can adjust the gate to work easily, tighten the two bolts and you are done.

This was one of the first fixes that I ever did to my truck, and it has never needed adjusting again.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Two pushes on the clutch before shifting into reverse eliminates the "grinding" on mine.
khansmith

Post by khansmith »

OK...works just fine. The driver didn't understand the instructions from the previous owner and has never been in a classic VW either. Got her home just fine. Funny....as he was pulling it off the truck, an ambulance came up and started asking lots of questions. Figure that will be normal from now on. Fun to drive! Although she needs new tires really bad. A bit of dry rot!
Ridgewood, NJ
1974 710M
2006 Ural Patrol
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

khansmith wrote:... Figure that will be normal from now on. Fun to drive! ...
Everytime you go out in it, there will be heads turning, mouths agape, fingers pointing, and lots of questions!
Mike

'76 710K
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

khansmith wrote:started asking lots of questions. Figure that will be normal from now on.
It is a people magnet in the daytime. If you go out much at night and haven't repainted, you're a bit less visible. Not much either.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Funny to read a thread in which I agreed with everybody, although it's not the first one. Now you need to read a lot about tires, my first and only mod., before you decide on a size/tread. Good luck with your new truck. Hope you enjoy it as much as everybody on this forum.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

khansmith wrote: Funny....as he was pulling it off the truck, an ambulance came up and started asking lots of questions. Figure that will be normal from now on.
And you thought "UDF" was bad :lol: :lol:

For the Pinz guys, UDF is foil head slang for “Ural delay factor”.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

khansmith wrote:OK...works just fine. The driver didn't understand the instructions from the previous owner and has never been in a classic VW either. Got her home just fine. Funny....as he was pulling it off the truck, an ambulance came up and started asking lots of questions. Figure that will be normal from now on. Fun to drive! Although she needs new tires really bad. A bit of dry rot!
Pics - need to post some pics!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker