Transmission Removal

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
NoahDL88

Transmission Removal

Post by NoahDL88 »

Is there anything I should be aware of when pulling the transmission?

I've pulled many a Ford and Subaru trannys in the past, but don't have the service manual yet for the Pinz. If there is a hidden clip or bolt it would be nice to know before I destroy it any further.

It fortunately seems like my only issue so far is the 4th gear, so thats me being optimistic, but I'm expecting all new gears, bushings and bearing, and the seal that screwed me over in the first place. :cry:

Yeah, I knew about it, Westernair was quite insistant that I check it frequently or replace the seal quickly, which I obviously didn't do.
1972 710K
undysworld
Norway

Re: Transmission Removal

Post by undysworld »

Noah,
Live and learn, eh?
It's an easy pull. Easiest I've ever done. Take out the access cover inside the bed and it's all right there. In my experience, the longest part of the job is pulling the propeller shaft off.
spandit

Post by spandit »

It's quite light. If I were you, once the access panel is removed, put a piece of wood across with a strap round it to take the weight when you remove it.
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Support the engine so you do not break or stress the engine mounts. I use the Pinz jack for this job(put on rear oil pan rail).
I rebuild quite a few of these units, as long as the case is good all the internal parts are available.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Thanks for the tips, they are all great!

I'll take some pictures so we can all bask in the glory of my idiocy
1972 710K
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Easy peazy, took just over an hour.

Now if anyone has a service manual they want to part with I'll be in business, or I can always get a new one, :wink:
1972 710K
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

PM sent
'76 710K
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Please buy a real one and not a bootleg cd version. In the meantime you can borrow mine if you want to come over to Tacoma. Keep the good karma and order a new manual from our sponsor, expedition imports. Scott is a standup guy
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

The generic manuals from ZF for the S5-18/3 are available online from ZF as used in BMW, Alfa, and a whole host of other vehicles including light trucks as is the manual from ZF for the steering box.
These are not Pinzgauer manuals however.
'76 710K
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Stekay emailed me a BMW/Alfa version, and I'm sure he wouldn't complain if I shot a few bucks to the forum for a thank you.

I plan on getting the official pinz manual from Scott once I'm ready to tear into the Boite-Changement Vitess!
1972 710K
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Update!

It's both good and bad news.

The good news is that I was correct in my assessment of the problem.

The bad news is that I was correct in my assessment of the problem.

4th gear on the input is missing 2 teeth, the other gear doesn't look wonderful either, and I can only assume they are a matched set so no big deal there.

The other gears look good, and overall the rest of the transmission is fine, bearings and synchros are good.

Time to scrounge some parts and get this beast back on the road, I'm moving soon so it kinda needs to be moving :P
1972 710K
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

I'm pretty much at the point where I can put it back together, I've been playing Coast Guard the last 5 months and havn't had the chance to mess with it too much.

Will the reccomended heat level, around 100 degrees C be enough for the gear to "drop" in, or will I still need a press?

Would icing the shaft with dry ice make it work?

I have access to a press, but I don't want to shlep all the way out too it if I don't have to.

I hope to have it back on the road for the 4th of July, 'Merca! and all that!
1972 710K
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Yes, you will need a press , heat gear to 200 deg f before pulling or pressing gears to avoid damage/galling to shaft.
Remember to re use shims from both sides of input bearing and you will have to make the front bearing retainer gasket by hand as they are no longer available.
Use 3/64ths gasket paper, check shim packs/shaft play with front seal removed and gasket in place. Shaft should rotate freely by hand. Use of silicone sealant in place of gasket is not advised (gasket is part of shim calculations and retainer will not fully seat without a gasket).
Tip: As a general rule, put all shims back where they came from.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

Thanks for the heads up.

I ended up trading an old Subaru for a pistol, and while I was chatting with my friend we started chatting about the pinz and the transmission, long story short, I'm borrowing his press. 3rd and 4th dropped right on no sweat. I had to press on 5th, but it pretty much slid on as well.

I need to "disaggregate" the mainshaft and clean up the syncros, I'll get some pictures before it all goes back together.

I have a friend with a gear puller, so I'm hoping I can get all the syncros off between the puller and the press.
1972 710K
NoahDL88

Post by NoahDL88 »

I've finally got the fixed shaft complete except for the bearings, and the syncro shaft is all apart waiting on some new parts. A thrust washer, needle bearing and a syncro hub need replacing.

I do have a picture of it exploded on a work bench, I'll try to get it up in the next week or so.
1972 710K