Transmission failure

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Transmission failure

Post by Jimm391730 »

I had to pick up my son "off the hill" as we say here, about 3,000 feet lower in elevation. Since another 6-10" of snow was forecasted for the afternoon we decided to take our 710M. Coming back up the hill just before dusk, the grade is steep enough that we were in fourth gear (and full throttle) most of the way. All of a sudden I start to hear a slight rattle from underneath and the power starts to fall although the engine seemed running strong enough; then it started to feel as if the parking brake was partially engaged. Less than 200 yards later we were at a complete standstill, with the engine dying as the clutch was engaged, either in first or second gear, or high or low range. Finally tried reverse and while the engine would still die but at least now the truck would roll backwards down the grade where there was a fortunate area to pull out.

Now I try to figure out what's gone wrong: Tailcone is cool, so doesn't seem like the parking brake was draging. By this time I get a horrible rattle if I try to engage reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, now the engine isn't dying but neither is the truck moving. Fifth gear does seem to want to work, but I've already got a wrecker on the way so no need to go to extraordinary measures to try to move on our own power. To add insult to injury, the rear flashers aren't working but if I give the switch some appropriate "percussive tuning" they do flash, some of the time.

So my best guess is that something in the jackshaft of the tranny has died; bearing, broken gear tooth wedged someplace, or ? Truck now sits at the local garage, time to break out the snowshovels and clear a path to get it down to my garage for repair. Fluid level has never been lacking, and it doesn't leak. Fortunately I have a spare tranny to exchange with it, and Jim L. will have to crack it open and do a full autopsy.

Biggest downside is now I can't use it to play in the snow today! :cry:
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Transmission failure

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Bummer. don't need to say it but... keep us posted. Tranny issues seem to be creeping into the community more and more.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

After all the shoveling, I dont WANT to play in the snow, but at least we got it back in the drive to wait for the snow to melt and then get working on it.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Swapped out the bad tranny with the spare that I had and dropped the bad one at Jim L's for rebuilding. His first thought was that it looked low on oil; if so, shame on me (I go through my trucks every spring, but without any signs of leaks I haven't been checking more often than once a year -- that will change!). Jim said he'd post the autopsy here when he gets a chance to dig into it.

But at least I'm on the road again...
Jim M.
712W and 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

people laugh at me but I check my trucks fluids before and after each run, at this time that is every other weekend. The cost/time to check the fluids is worth it in my book. It also gives me a chance to inspect the underside for loosening bolts/nuts.