Portal/axle/diff oil leak question

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
compunerdy
United States of America

Portal/axle/diff oil leak question

Post by compunerdy »

Just got my first pinz and started digging into a oil leak near the front portal. When I pulled the upper fill plug oil started pouring out. When I stripped it down to this point..

I can see oil up inside the tube so I assume that since my portal was overfull I must have another issue. What seal keeps the oil from going from the diff and into the tubes and what is required to replace it?

Thanks, Tim
Tim
1975 710K
undysworld
Norway

Re: Portal/axle/diff oil leak question

Post by undysworld »

Hi Tim,

Welcome to Pinzes and this forum. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but...

IIRC, you'll need to pull the differential out of the vehicle, break it in two, and replace o-rings etc. within. It's not as terrible of a job as it probably seems/sounds, but it takes a bit of labor. If you do not yet own the repair and parts manuals, it's time to buy 'em.

Best of luck on the repairs.

Paul

ps. Where are you located?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome to the forum
Good luck with the repair but x2 on the make sure you have all the manuals!
Please fill in your location and let us know what model and year Pinz you have.
And... we always like to see pics!!
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Thanks for the welcomes.. I got my location and pinz info added to my profile. The pic I posted above was borrowed from another thread but I will try and document what I can.

I will get the books ordered today but if I can get some more info while I wait for them so I can continue tearing things apart that would be great.

1. How do you guys support this vehicle when you need to tear apart a complete axle?

2. Does the oil in the portal hub move up and lubricate the CV, etc? From what I gather it must since oil in the tubes shows a sign of other bad seals.

3. So far looking through SAV's parts I cannot find the seal that would keep oil from going from the diff to the portal, can someone point that out please.
Tim
1975 710K
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I have used a set of sturdy camper jacks to support the body while removing drive line assemblies.
When I used to work at an automotive shop, we used the spider lift to support the body just under the rub rails.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

I have some large jack stands.. just not sure of a safe place to position them on the body. I was considering the front bumper but now I just remembered if I am taking off the front diff then the bumper mount goes as well.
Tim
1975 710K
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Tim,

I've never had to take the front diff out, so I can't give you too much help on jackpoints.

IIRC, you're looking at #8 on this diagram (which, BTW, in case you've not yet discovered S.A.V.'s website is very helpful). I'd replace any orings there, as long as you're in it.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=03-10
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

From what I know, which isn't a huge amount, there shouldn't be oil in the tube and there actually are no CV joints in there; Ledwinka suspensions don't use CV joints. I might be wrong, which is not uncommon, but I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Does the outer o-ring replacement require the entire diff removal? There are plenty of threads that tell of repairs without breaking open the diff....Unless of course there is an inner o-ring as well.... :?:
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I've only done the rear diff (but a couple of times) and I think its easier with the wheels still on as its easier to roll that way.

Since you have one side stripped already I would consider stripping down the other side first too so it balances better on a floor jack.

Then pull the front bumper, bumper support and springs etc. Then its just disconnect and slide the diff forward about 6 inches and lower it.

I'd support both the body and the center tube on jack stands. The engine weight is actually mostly on the center tube BTW. I think the front "arms" which attach to the body will be disconnected once the front diff is disconnected to be pulled off - so it might need to go with the front diff unit.

I think putting it all back together is the harder part :-)

Be sure you have a couple of guys with you to help - prior to drinking too much beer.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The gears in the hub draw oil up as they turn; then there is an oil catch area that gives a small pool to lube the CV steering joint. As that pool overflows it drains down back into the lowest part of the hub. So when you get it all put back together and fill the hub with oil, you need to spin the wheel to "pump" oil up into the upper CV area and top off the lower hub with oil before you are done. I expect that this will take quite a few wheel rotations before you know the upper resevoir is filled.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Thanks for all the info!!
undysworld wrote:Tim,

I've never had to take the front diff out, so I can't give you too much help on jackpoints.

IIRC, you're looking at #8 on this diagram (which, BTW, in case you've not yet discovered S.A.V.'s website is very helpful). I'd replace any orings there, as long as you're in it.
http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=03-10
Wouldn't #8 be for keeping oil from leaking onto the outside of the axle tubes or am I looking at this all wrong?

I guess since I am here I will do all seals and bearings so I am not kicking myself later. Is the EXEC II just a rear axle issue or is that something I need to look at also?
Tim
1975 710K
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Greetings Tim

:( Sorry to hear of your problems.

I don’t know if you’re aware or not that your Pinz needs to be operational by late June for Haflinger Treffen Nordamerika 8) taking place in the next village up highway 2.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7423

Should we assume that you will be bringing the Aplets and Cotlets? :lol:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

CentAr712 wrote: Ledwinka suspensions don't use CV joints.
Well - that is correct - the suspensions don't use CV joints - but the steering does... So the CV is part of the portal gear boxes on the front wheels only.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Have you discovered where the extra oil came from? Was the differential low? Is there any possibility that the PO may have over filled? Do you have any pictures showing the leak? have you pulled the boots back? is there any oil in the boots?

this video may help also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9wNbXZf6wU
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.